Installing piston rings on Z-145 continental gas engine

/ Installing piston rings on Z-145 continental gas engine #1  

Forester Massey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 135
I am installing new piston rings on new pistons for my Massey 135 rebuild. The shop manual says the rings on this engine are "tapered" and marked "top" to show direction of ring on piston. The rings I have do not look tapered at all and have no markings for "top". I am thinking those type of rings are not being used on these rebuilds but I am not sure and don't want to get the engine together and find out otherwise. Can someone advise.

/ Installing piston rings on Z-145 continental gas engine #2  
G'day Forester Massey.
The first thing and one of the most important things is to check the piston ring fit in the cylinder bore then the ring clearance on the piston using your manual to help ,take your time and do this carefully.
Regardless if the rings are genuine or aftermarket they should come with the instructions for fitting although you will find different manufacturers have different types of rings so it is important to install the rings as per the instructions that should be in the box with the rings.

I feel it is worth mentioning that when fitting the rings to the pistons they are cast and will break very easily if over stretched ,you will find it a lot easier to use a piston ring expander .
Thats all I can offer at this stage.
Regards.
Hutch.

/ Installing piston rings on Z-145 continental gas engine
Thanks Hutch:

I decided to make a visit to the machine shop. The shop manual said the top ring was beveled but it is not. Only the second and third ring are and they have a marking at the top indicating such. I have it figured out. I bought new pistons, cylinders and rings of course. Thanks for your help.