Oil & Fuel Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson #1  

radrock

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat
So does anybody else have an oil filter that looks like this on their Massey? I have to change the oil for the second time tomorrow. I had a heck of a time getting the filter off the first time. The only tool I had that would fit in this little place was my hand. I have a few oil filter wrenches but you can not use them because of the Hydraulic line in front of the filter. You would think an engineer would figure this out right away and not produce this stuff like this. Hopefully I do not have problems taking it off tomorrow as I only turn them 1/2 turn by hand once they are seated.

Engine Oil Filter.JPG

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson #2  
Get a new filter, then buy one of those metal end cap filter wrenches. Use an extension and you should get it out. We had the same problem with the 1523. 1635 is a little easier, can use a strap wrench on it.

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson #3  
Looks similar, but a bit worse than my 1540. The first time on an overtightened factory filter, I got on the very end with a large pipe wrench.
It looks like a cheap strap wrench might work on yours.

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson #4  
Radrock, do you have a pic taken not as close?

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson
I have had it off on my 50 hour service. It was a bear. Problem is you can't get any filter wrenches in that little space. I have a web filter wrench and regular wrench. I could get to the filter real easy on my 1215. Everything else is easy to get to. Massey should have made a different Hydraulic tub instead of blocking the filter. I'll let you know how my oil change goes tomorrow haha

Radrock, do you have a pic taken not as close?

Not right now. I'll take one farther away tomorrow and will take the FEL off. It is just easier to work on. I'm going to change the Hydrostat oil and motor oil both. I like that I can open the hood and remove the side panels as well. Most everything is real easy to get to.

/ Hard to get to Oil Filter on 1526 Massey Ferguson #7  
I have had it off on my 50 hour service. It was a bear. Problem is you can't get any filter wrenches in that little space. I have a web filter wrench and regular wrench. I could get to the filter real easy on my 1215. Everything else is easy to get to. Massey should have made a different Hydraulic tub instead of blocking the filter. I'll let you know how my oil change goes tomorrow haha

An end cap filter wrench will work. Our 1523 was the same way. That is an Iseki design, not MF's fault.

Looks similar, but a bit worse than my 1540. The first time on an overtightened factory filter, I got on the very end with a large pipe wrench.
It looks like a cheap strap wrench might work on yours.

strap wrench won't work. tried that. Hopefully it won't be hard to get this time.

An end cap filter wrench will work. Our 1523 was the same way. That is an Iseki design, not MF's fault.
Not for sure but you are probably right. I think the 1523 has the same motor as well. 91 CI?

Well you guys got my curiosity up too much. I just went out to the garage to see if I could spin it off by hand. No problem. Like I said I didn't over tighten it when I changed oil. So as long as I don't get too carried away when putting on the new filter it shouldn't be any problem. No oil leak. Of course I think they are harder to take off when hot anyway. I just have a hard time dealing with the fact they would build it that way.