New, old to me to35

/ New, old to me to35 #1  

Blue Ridge

Tractor
MASSEY FERGUSON TO35
Hello My name is Scott. My wife and I have a small farm (20acres and 4 horses) in the Blue ridge mountains real close to the parkway. We also have a John Deere 1520 that I use mostly for the work. I bought my wife a 1958 Massey Ferguson TO35 tractor (gas) mostly for fun and with thoughts of having it restored. My wife wants to keep it as is but get it in tip top running shape. It runs good but of course needs some work. I'm hoping for some help and support as i'm not the best mechanic ! ha! The tractor is in real nice shape. With the help of my neighbor we have changed all fluids, filters, new plugs, plug wires, distributor and flushed and refilled Radiator . Also new battery and carb.! Now after about a year of trouble free service I have to jump the battery to start it, then runs fine. We checked the generator , still the orginal 6 volt and found out its not charging. I will take the generator of and have it rebuilt with a negitive ground as instructed. Heres my first question, Should I order a complete wire harness or just replace each wire one at a time? and should I try it my self or get my neighbor to do this for me? Thanks in advance for any help!

/ New, old to me to35 #2  
Welcome to the forum.

/ New, old to me to35 #3  
those old tractors have only a few feet of wire on them. you could re-wire each circuit and be fine.

on the genny..

do a full field test than a motor test. might be just a vreg issue.. or a loss of polerization.

if you convert to negative ground.. ( why? pretty universal that 6v is positive ground.. no benefits by switching to negative unlesss you also go 12v and get an alternator.... ) anyway.. if you do change polarity, make sure to re-orient the ignition coil so it's (-) sign is going to the distribuitor.

/ New, old to me to35 #4  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating forum.

/ New, old to me to35 #6  
Welcome,

If you understand electricity then rewiring yourself should not be a problem. One concern is if someone has done some "make do" wiring revisions that may confuse a straight forward rewire. Knowledgable help would be indespensible in this senario.

Lots of luck.

/ New, old to me to35 #7  
Welcome to TBN. TO35's are solid tractors. You'll have fun exploring the mechanics of it. Get you some manuals for it. Parts, Service and Owners.

/ New, old to me to35 #8  
210.jpg my mf 35 which is the next generation of the to 35

Depends on if yuo are just tryin gto get it to work or convert to 12 v you could conver to 12v with a new alt, VR and coil, 12 v battery Rewire is simple just get a wiring diagram and make your own harness

/ New, old to me to35
Thanks for the help and encouragement everyone. Not sure why my neighbor would recommend a negative ground. no telling what wiring has been changed, I noticed the neutral safety switch has been by-passed. I have found two wiring diagrams on the net one is neg ground and one is positive ground. When I catch up with my neighbor I'll double check with him.
those old tractors have only a few feet of wire on them. you could re-wire each circuit and be fine.

on the genny..

do a full field test than a motor test. might be just a vreg issue.. or a loss of polerization.

if you convert to negative ground.. ( why? pretty universal that 6v is positive ground.. no benefits by switching to negative unlesss you also go 12v and get an alternator.... ) anyway.. if you do change polarity, make sure to re-orient the ignition coil so it's (-) sign is going to the distribuitor.