Tractor
    Case

When I throttle up it right has a dead spot mid throttle to high throttle and don't recover we'll under a load but idles well, the engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago, have adjusted timing and helped a bit but noted that when adjusting timing the degree is all over the place, 165 massy
    Last edited by RdPhil; 11-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 148 .Chamberlain Super 70. Caterpillar D4. Chamberlain 354 FEL.Toro 268 rideon kubota L2002fel

Default Re: Govenor

G, RdPhil.

First let me welcome you as a new member and I am sure you will find a lot of interesting information and tips on the forum a great way to pass the time on a wet day Ha Ha.

Check the distributor advance and retard weights inside the distributor ,make sure the weights Spring out and return all the way and the springs are not broken or stretched, also that the assembly is not tight on the shaft ,put oil in there .

Check the Strength of the Spark ,remove all plug leads and one plug reconnect to the lead and earth the body then crank the engine with the ignition turned on
    You should see a nice bright blue spark if not ,first check the points making sure they are clean and have the correct gap .

If the coil is hot after a run ,Change the Condenser.

If after all of this check the carburetor ,first the mixture screw then the float level.
    Thats all I can offer at the Moment.
    Happy Days.
    Hutch.

Tractor
    1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel

Default Re: Govenor

Quote Originally Posted by RdPhil View Post
    When I throttle up it right has a dead spot mid throttle to high throttle and don't recover we'll under a load but idles well, the engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago, have adjusted timing and helped a bit but noted that when adjusting timing the degree is all over the place
    What kind of tractor do you have Rd?

Tractor
    Case

It's a 165 massy and Ill check the springs in the morning, never thought of that at all. It has new points condenser coil and reman carb on the rebuild and runs smooth on an idle also before the rebuild the tractor sat for ten years after being overheated and blown up and I've found several things in this repair I'm just not accustomed to. And I'll let you know how it works out

Tractor
    Case

Shona I'd sure like to thank you for the advice.

We pulled the distributor down to the springs and it was full of rust and corrosion and the weights do return but hardly do and also there is a lot of play in the gear so rather the replace the individual parts we ordered a reman and ill let you know how it runs

Tractor
    Case

The reman distributer is in set carb to stock adjustments, set the timing then it ran good do a while then not good and found the points came loose then coil went bad but after all that now it runs great knock on wood