Oil & Fuel Help! Fuel Starvation?

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #1  

kayaker

Tractor
Massey 1529
Hey guys- I could sure use some help. I've been browsing this forum for a couple years getting answers to all my tractor needs. I'm baffled at this point, which doesn't take a whole lot to begin with but can't seem to find an answer searching the forums.

I have a Massey Ferguson 1529 with almost 150 hours. Here lately, after running it for an hour it becomes rough running. It seems to do it more on an incline when really pulling a loud and sucking the fuel. It has occasionally done it on a decline and level ground. I have noticed while running the fuel in the fuel bowl hovers around the bottom of the filter. I'm thinking, this CAN'T be right? With the tractor OFF the fuel only fills up to about half way in the bowl. I have included pics below. The picture with fuel is before I started the engine. The second is after running the RPM's to 2500 and back down to Idle which is right at 1000.

Currently I have changed the fuel filter, inspected and cleaned air filter. Cleaned out the fuel tank. There seems to be good flow from the tank to the fuel bow. When I remove the line from the fuel bowl the fuel comes a screaming.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1130.jpgIMG_1132.jpg

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #2  
Check the fuel tank cap to see if the vent is open. Also if you have a leak in the suction side fuel line you could be sucking air into the fuel bowl. check the gasket for the fuel bowl that it is sealed.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #3  
I am not used to that kind of bowl. The ones I am used to, new unfiltered fuel coming in drives other fuel upward through a screen. If it were me, I'd check the things Randall mentioned, but make sure the seal at the top of the bowl is good, and the bowl is tight. Air can go places that liquids can't, so it could be you have a leak for air, but not for liquids. I have seen that in hydraulic suction lines before.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation?
Thanks Guys. I did check the fuel cap earlier. No luck. I will check over the bowl seals closely and see what happens.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #5  
It sounds like you might have an air leak there. Make sure the bowl gasket seals good. A little smear of grease on the gasket and the threads might help you seal it up better when you tighten it. Careful though not to overdo it on tightening. Vent the bowl to fill it all the way up with fuel and make sure the vent screw is tight and gasket is good.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #6  
Hey guys- I could sure use some help. I've been browsing this forum for a couple years getting answers to all my tractor needs. I'm baffled at this point, which doesn't take a whole lot to begin with but can't seem to find an answer searching the forums.

I have a Massey Ferguson 1529 with almost 150 hours. Here lately, after running it for an hour it becomes rough running. It seems to do it more on an incline when really pulling a loud and sucking the fuel. It has occasionally done it on a decline and level ground. I have noticed while running the fuel in the fuel bowl hovers around the bottom of the filter. I'm thinking, this CAN'T be right? With the tractor OFF the fuel only fills up to about half way in the bowl. I have included pics below. The picture with fuel is before I started the engine. The second is after running the RPM's to 2500 and back down to Idle which is right at 1000.

Currently I have changed the fuel filter, inspected and cleaned air filter. Cleaned out the fuel tank. There seems to be good flow from the tank to the fuel bow. When I remove the line from the fuel bowl the fuel comes a screaming.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 293637View attachment 293638

Make sure the strainer in the tank isn't partially blocked and check the fitting connections for tightness and the sealing on the fuel filter.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #7  
There is a possibility that the supply line has a deteriorated lining that partially blocks fuel flow under suction but is open for gravity feed. If the supply hose is not braid covered try feeling along it's length for any soft or swollen spots. Try pinching it off with your fingers with the engine running to be sure it doesn't collapse under high suction. Air leaks at the crimped on fittings are a possibility that are almost impossible to detect. If in doubt replace the line.
Smilinjak

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #8  
Check where the fuel line goes into the tank on the bottom side. Have seen them where the line isn't long enough & the line pinches and does what you're describing. It's tough to get to and usually shows up sooner than 150 hours though.

Also, when the bowl empties, kill the machine and right away pull off the inlet line to see if fuel is flowing good. I would run the tractor & kill it with a safety switch to keep the fuel pump running without a pause in operation. It may be something floating in the tank that is partially blocking the feed line then gets released when the machine is shutdown & the suction goes away.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation?
Thanks again for all the input. I have some running around to do this morning but hopefully can get to troubleshooting this afternoon. One last question on the fuel bowl. Should it be completely full when everything is working properly and remain full while the engine is running?

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #10  
Should be full & remain full under all conditions.