Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Default Re: Won't Start after shut down

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    Yes I did. Looks like the battery was low. I guess running the heater and all the lights is too much for it. I didn't have my battery charger over where the tractor is so I'll go over after and charge it and let it run for a while at high idle to charge it up fully. I had this same issue last year but that was because it was a 15 year old battery I had in it. I didn't even consider the battery because it is fairly new.
    If you have a bit of time you can rejuvenate that tired battery. If it's a maitenance free battery with no holes or plugs visible, then the battery probably has dried out. Feel around on top of the battery till you feel six circles in a straight line lengthwise on the top. Peel back the plastic label. The plugs either pop out with a small screwdriver or actually unscrew and has a rubber O right to keep them from leaking.

If the battery is 15 years old then it probably needs replacement so a bit of experientation won't hurt. Open the plugs and look inside with a flashlight. Low to no water in one or more cells. A whitish color inside is a sign of a sulphated battery which coats the lead plates and greatly reduces charge capacity. I took two tired batteries what where main Free and brought them back to usable life. I was saving them to use on a new battery exchange. I saw a bunch of videos on Youtube where people took "epson salt" aka magnesium sulfate and distilled water and removed the sulfate from the batteries. To my suprise it worked on both batteries. Basically the salts react with the sulfate in the battery and converts it back to sulfuric acid and clears enough plates to bring a dying battery back to a usuable state. Google "how to fix a maintenance free battery" OR.. If you don't want to bother just buy another one.
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Tractor
    MASSEY 1020, CASE SC, FARMALL F12 and F20

The Kid. Sorry I forgot to state I put a new battery in it last spring because the old one finally went. It is working fine now. The alternator is working fine.
    Last edited by MIKE R; 12-23-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

2013 TRACTOR CRUISE VIDEO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSNh8qmaus

Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Have you checked that the alternator is putting out the correct amperage? If it is, then you may be able to get a larger alternator to cover the load you are putting on the battery.
    Bingo.
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Tractor
    MASSEY 1020, CASE SC, FARMALL F12 and F20

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Have you checked that the alternator is putting out the correct amperage? If it is, then you may be able to get a larger alternator to cover the load you are putting on the battery.
    I checked every thing and its reading good. As long as it starts and runs I'm happy. This was the first time I used the heater and all the lights. It was a little to much. I know the alternator is able to keep up with the heater and head light draw but not both plus 2 other lights up on top the cab.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

2013 TRACTOR CRUISE VIDEO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSNh8qmaus

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    I checked every thing and its reading good. As long as it starts and runs I'm happy. This was the first time I used the heater and all the lights. It was a little to much. I know the alternator is able to keep up with the heater and head light draw but not both plus 2 other lights up on top the cab.
    Time for a larger alternator, or maybe swtch to LED lighting to keep your amperage draw equal to or less than the amperage that the alternator puts out.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF1010

It may make little difference here, but I'm not certain that the 1020 actually uses an alternator either. I think some were made with generators. I know my 1010 was, and I see references to both in my manuals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12