Won't Start after shut down

/ Won't Start after shut down #1  

MIKE R

Elite Member
Tractor
Many
Today I had the Massey 1020 out after last nights snow storm to clean the drive way. It started good from being cold and not being run in a week. I cleared snow with it for over a hour. When I turned if off to clean the snow from it before attempting to put it back in the garage, when I went to start NOTHING happened. All the lights came on as they always do but no click or noises from the starter.(possibly a bad solenoid???) I checked all the wires and don't have any loose connections. I pushed it back into the garage to let the snow melt off. I'll check it out later and see if it works and test all the circuits with the meter.

Any other ideas on what could cause this?

/ Won't Start after shut down #2  
Could it be a frozen safety-interlock switch? Hope you get it sorted out.

/ Won't Start after shut down
joemd11 said:
Could it be a frozen safety-interlock switch? Hope you get it sorted out.

Thats what I am thinking. I had checked to make sure all the levers are in the correct position and moved them back and forth to see if it makes a difference. I'll see what happens after it sits in the garage and warms up. I might put the battery charger on it to be sure the battery is not dead.

/ Won't Start after shut down #4  
Thats what I am thinking. I had checked to make sure all the levers are in the correct position and moved them back and forth to see if it makes a difference. I'll see what happens after it sits in the garage and warms up. I might put the battery charger on it to be sure the battery is not dead.
Did you figure it out?

/ Won't Start after shut down #5  
Check the battery first. See if you are getting current down to the starter.

If you have current at the starter, you should be able to put the tractor in neutral, then jump across from the hot terminal on the starter over to the solenoid terminal using a screwdriver. This should cause the starter to engage. If you give it throttle before you do this, it will start the tractor. So be careful because this also bypasses all the safety switches.

If this works, then you need to trace the wiring to find the problem. But you did indicate the lights work, so if that includes dash lights, the ignition switch is probably ok.

If you have a clutch safety switch, and you should, you can bypass it just by unplugging the connector wires from it and plugging them together. You could also have a PTO safety switch, and a switch under the seat as well.

On my 1010 I found the voltage dropped significantly as the current went to the ignition, through the clutch safety switch, and back to the starter solenoid. I ended up installing a $7 Radio Shack relay so the current flowing back to the solenoid tripped a relay instead. The relay then connects the current from the battery directy to the solenoid. You can check for this problem as well by removing the wire from the solenoid and checking for the voltage getting through it when you turn the key to the start position to start the tractor. Mine was around 9.4 volts, just not enough.

Keep us posted.

Did you figure it out?

Yes I did. Looks like the battery was low. I guess running the heater and all the lights is too much for it. I didn't have my battery charger over where the tractor is so I'll go over after and charge it and let it run for a while at high idle to charge it up fully. I had this same issue last year but that was because it was a 15 year old battery I had in it. I didn't even consider the battery because it is fairly new.

/ Won't Start after shut down #7  
Yes I did. Looks like the battery was low. I guess running the heater and all the lights is too much for it. I didn't have my battery charger over where the tractor is so I'll go over after and charge it and let it run for a while at high idle to charge it up fully. I had this same issue last year but that was because it was a 15 year old battery I had in it. I didn't even consider the battery because it is fairly new.
.............................................................................................................................................
charge your battery full with the charger .. the alternator WILL NOT CHARGE A BATTERY it. just put back what is taken to start your tractor ..so every time you leave the lights on or start it alot you will kill your battery for the alternator cant recharge ???? why dont know but it wont ..save your fuel use the charger lol:thumbsup:

.............................................................................................................................................
charge your battery full with the charger .. the alternator WILL NOT CHARGE A BATTERY it. just put back what is taken to start your tractor ..so every time you leave the lights on or start it alot you will kill your battery for the alternator cant recharge ???? why dont know but it wont ..save your fuel use the charger lol:thumbsup:

I charged it up and it started fine.

If this is the case how does boosting a vehicle work? You get it started and let it charge its self up.

/ Won't Start after shut down #9  
I charged it up and it started fine.

If this is the case how does boosting a vehicle work? You get it started and let it charge its self up.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Have you checked that the alternator is putting out the correct amperage? If it is, then you may be able to get a larger alternator to cover the load you are putting on the battery.

/ Won't Start after shut down #10  

This statement is incorrect.