Gc2610 glow plug problem

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #11  
It's not just the oil that needs to warm up. The rest of the system, parts & housings needs to get some heat in them. A proper warm up would consist of moving all hydraulic functions in harmony to allow all parts to come up to temperature equally. Moving the loader, backhoe & 3pt controls to put some heat in them. Nothing good about getting the transmission hot & sending the hot oil to freezing cylinders.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #12  
Nothing good about getting the transmission hot & sending the hot oil to freezing cylinders.

Yes, ideally you could warm the cylinders you plan to be using, as you warm the tractor.

My fluid is never hot before I start plowing, I don't have that kind of patience.

No gain in warming the backhoe cylinders, if your just using it as ballast.

The only perfect solution, keep the machine from getting freezing cold to start with. :D

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #13  
"This silicone pad heater, (orange colored device below)"

Have yet to "need" it, but thanks to Ray's advice, I have one now, too. Don't neglect that warm-up for the hydraulic fluid!

(Looks like I might have a good opportunity to use it tomorrow morning; we have 5" of very dense snow on the ground now, not expected to finish til tomorrow AM sometime.)

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #14  
I ran my heaters for close to 2 days, ahead of the last storm.

Both the engine oil pan, and transmission housing were comfortably warm to the touch.

I guess I should attempt to do some oil temperature readings, with, and without the heaters.

Maybe I can determine modified warm up times, roughly based on the published temperature charts?

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #15  
OK, now I'm still learning how ignorant I am. My tractor, with few exceptions is parked inside where the temperature in winter is between 50 and 60 degrees F. As soon as it starts, I set it at about 1500 RPM, put it in low range and proceed at a light forward speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until the temperature gauge has moved. I then move it up to 2000 to 2500 RPM and use high range for plowing with the standard bucket. I've noticed the bucket is a little slow at first, but expected that at such a low RPM(1500). Am I not warming it up enough? I don't remember reading anything about this in the manual. This is how I've treated my truck since new and it now has 410,000 KM on the original motor.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #16  
OK, now I'm still learning how ignorant I am. My tractor, with few exceptions is parked inside where the temperature in winter is between 50 and 60 degrees F. As soon as it starts, I set it at about 1500 RPM, put it in low range and proceed at a light forward speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until the temperature gauge has moved. I then move it up to 2000 to 2500 RPM and use high range for plowing with the standard bucket. I've noticed the bucket is a little slow at first, but expected that at such a low RPM(1500). Am I not warming it up enough? I don't remember reading anything about this in the manual. This is how I've treated my truck since new and it now has 410,000 KM on the original motor.

Your doing fine. When its cold let the engine warm up for a couple minutes and then go do what you need to do with the tractor. If it gets really cold use a engine block heater. Transmission heaters & hyd oil heaters are neat gadgets but not required unless you live way, way, way up north.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #17  

The difference is, your 2610 has 5 gallons of oil in the transmission, that needs time to warm up in cold weather, to protect the pump.

I haven't seen the 2610 operating manual. The 2310 manual says for 32*F and up, the warm up time is 5-10 minutes.

At 50-60*F, my guess is your procedure is probably not being too tough on it. But, I would still give it a couple minutes to warm up first.

Also use caution not to bog, (lug), the engine when plowing at those low rpms. That is really hard on it.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #18  
Transmission heaters & hyd oil heaters are neat gadgets but not required unless you live way, way, way up north.

Nothing is required, you can always wait the full "30 minutes or more", when it's below zero.

But, at $35 in my opinion, it's cheap insurance.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #19  
I may be lucky and/or stupid, but I have never warmed up my Massey once I manage to get it started. I've run Amsoil in the hydro unit and synthetic (Mobil) oil in the engine. I don't load it up much for 5 minutes or so. When I read the warm-up times in the owner's manual, I nearly choked on my coffee. I've not seen any damage yet, but I'm sure that the pump will be the first thing to go when something does eventually fail.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #20  
I may be lucky and/or stupid, but I have never warmed up my Massey once I manage to get it started. I've run Amsoil in the hydro unit and synthetic (Mobil) oil in the engine. I don't load it up much for 5 minutes or so. When I read the warm-up times in the owner's manual, I nearly choked on my coffee. I've not seen any damage yet, but I'm sure that the pump will be the first thing to go when something does eventually fail.

I am sure some will never change the oil in the transmission as long as they own it. And, I am sure a majority are not changing the antifreeze annually either. :thumbsup:

Everyone has to decide for themselves, how far they want to go.

There have been some pump problems with the early models, due to a factory defect. And it amounts to a $3,000 repair.

I have one of those early models, and I am not taking any big chances with it.