Gc2610 glow plug problem

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
My Gc2610 was very hard to start the other the day in the cold. Today I decided to check power to the glow plugs. I disconnected the wire from the bus bar and attached my red meter lead to the wire and the black one to the battery and turned on the key. i am measuring milivolts. Should I be getting battery voltage to the glow plugs? I have the service manual and its info is limited on the glow plugs, . Is there a fuse for this? What am I missing?

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #2  
Did you turn the key to the "glow" position or just the run position? There is a detent position inbetween run & start that activates the glow plugs. Just want to be sure you're hitting that before we daignose any further.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #3  
My Gc2610 was very hard to start the other the day in the cold. Today I decided to check power to the glow plugs. I disconnected the wire from the bus bar and attached my red meter lead to the wire and the black one to the battery and turned on the key. i am measuring milivolts. Should I be getting battery voltage to the glow plugs? I have the service manual and its info is limited on the glow plugs, . Is there a fuse for this? What am I missing?

Battery hot or ground on that black lead?

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem
Did you turn the key to the "glow" position or just the run position? There is a detent position inbetween run & start that activates the glow plugs. Just want to be sure you're hitting that before we daignose any further.

I am a complete idiot. I have 200 hrs on my tractor and never used the glow plugs. I thought by turning the key one position right activated the glow plugs. I never realized until now that you actually have to hold the key in the glow plug position. I normally turn the key walk away then come back and start it. I started it all last winter with no glow plugs.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #5  
I started it all last winter with no glow plugs.

It is amazing that you were able to do that.

Some people can't get them started with the glow plugs. :laughing:

For those who are new to winter starting, and operating:

Remember, as it gets cold, your glow plug time gets longer. Really cold conditions require 30 seconds or more.

You also have thicker air in the winter, so you get more air in the intake. That requires more fuel to get the right mixture to start easily. A good starting point for a really cold weather starting is open the throttle 15-20%.

You need to experiment with your tractor to find the right combination of glow time, and throttle position that works for you.

If it does not start by the count of 5, don't crank it until the battery dies. Go back to the glow plugs, and run them longer, and or change the throttle position.

With experience, you can get fast, easy starts.

Diesel engines do not create much heat at idle speeds. Open the throttle to around 1,000 rpm or so, (or, any fast idle speed it runs smoothly at), during the warm up.

Don't forget about the extended warm up times, as per your manual, for the 5 gallons of oil in your transmission.

It is amazing how easy it starts with glow plugs. I just thought all along it was a finnicky starter. I was starting it last winter when temps were 15 degrees. I started with a WOT and slowly lowered it until it started. Glow plugs are a great invention that i just discovered.!!!LOL
It is amazing that you were able to do that.

Some people can't get them started with the glow plugs. :laughing:

For those who are new to winter starting, and operating:

Remember, as it gets cold, your glow plug time gets longer. Really cold conditions require 30 seconds or more.

You also have thicker air in the winter, so you get more air in the intake. That requires more fuel to get the right mixture to start easily. A good starting point for a really cold weather starting is open the throttle 15-20%.

You need to experiment with your tractor to find the right combination of glow time, and throttle position that works for you.

If it does not start by the count of 5, don't crank it until the battery dies. Go back to the glow plugs, and run them longer, and or change the throttle position.

With experience, you can get fast, easy starts.

Diesel engines do not create much heat at idle speeds. Open the throttle to around 1,000 rpm or so, (or, any fast idle speed it runs smoothly at), during the warm up.

Don't forget about the extended warm up times, as per your manual, for the 5 gallons of oil in your transmission.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #7  
My GC2610 has a dealer installed block heater. If I have it plugged in, I can start it without the glow plugs and it seems to already be at operating temperature. If it's not plugged in, I need at least 10 seconds on the plugs when the temperature is below freezing. Even at 50 degrees F, I need to use the plugs or it's a no start.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #8  
My GC2610 has a dealer installed block heater. If I have it plugged in, I can start it without the glow plugs and it seems to already be at operating temperature. If it's not plugged in, I need at least 10 seconds on the plugs when the temperature is below freezing. Even at 50 degrees F, I need to use the plugs or it's a no start.

Yes, it starts easy with the $120 block heater.

But, if it's cold outside, you can't go anywhere until the transmission warms up anyway. So, you have plenty of time for the engine to warm up.

I use Amsoil in the hydraulics. How much less warm up time do you think is needed than Permatran?[/I]
Yes, it starts easy with the $120 block heater.

But, if it's cold outside, you can't go anywhere until the transmission warms up anyway. So, you have plenty of time for the engine to warm up.

/ Gc2610 glow plug problem #10  
I use Amsoil in the hydraulics. How much less warm up time do you think is needed than Permatran?[/I]

Your guess is as good as mine.

It's probably best if you don't reduce it by a lot. But, for the times when you have too, it's nice have the best possible option in there.

Another way to protect your hydraulic pump from cold weather: This silicone pad heater, (orange colored device below), is glued to the bottom of the rear axle housing. It uses 140 watts of 110 volt ac power. I plug it in when the forecast is for impending snow.

In 24 hours, it warms the oil considerably. In 48 hours, the entire housing is no longer cold anywhere. I have left it plugged in for as long as a week at a time, when we have had periods of continuous snow.

With this you really can shorten you warm up times, because your oil is not cold to begin with.

E-bay seems to have the best selection of these.

0921121157a.jpg

As an experiment, I am also running a 25 watt pad heater on the engine oil pan this year.

It rarely gets much below 32F in my shop, which is certainly helpful too.