Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO

I have an idea if someone wants to test it. Cover the vent holes on your hood. I think the air is coming in there and causing the tach problems.

I was just out using mine, and it acted up. I removed the cable from the head, sprayed liberal amounts of 'Yamaha Chain Lube' on it again, and it's fine now. I can't test the theory because of this. But on the new 1700 series, they have eleminated the vent holes on the hood. I think that's 'the fix'.

UPDATE: After typing the above post, I went back outside and within 3 minutes mine was squealing again. I grabbed the Scotch tape and covered the vent holes in the hood, and after another 30 minutes of running at WOT, I got no more squealing.

More testing of this theory needs to be done, but if you look at the design of the screen assembly under the hood, you will see that it directs the air directly onto the tach assembly.
    Last edited by Don87; 01-25-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Update number 2. 1 hour of operating the Massey, 12 degrees outside, holes in hood taped over, no tach problems.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Update number 2. 1 hour of operating the Massey, 12 degrees outside, holes in hood taped over, no tach problems.
    Brilliant.

Still glad I don't have a tach though.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson Gc2400

Thanks for the update Don

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterman1 View Post
    Thanks for the update Don
    Your welcome, and I can update for a third time now. I ran the tractor for another hour this evening, still fine.

Supposed to go into the single digits tonight, with lots of snow. I'll get another good test in.
    Don

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Hey, Don, great to hear it sounds like you have a fix! Close to zero here this AM; we've had, other than that fluke of 50+ a few days back, a lot of cold up here-- but not a lot of snow. Getting tired of sweeping the dustings of snow away. Got another 1/4" last night, just enough to be a nuisance....
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by irvingj View Post
    Hey, Don, great to hear it sounds like you have a fix! Close to zero here this AM; we've had, other than that fluke of 50+ a few days back, a lot of cold up here-- but not a lot of snow. Getting tired of sweeping the dustings of snow away. Got another 1/4" last night, just enough to be a nuisance....
    It's beginning to look that way, time will tell. I just used 'scotch tape', as it will deteriorate quite rapidly, and shouldn't mess up the paint at all. But for long term, I'm going to pick up small magnetic covers for it. Like those magnetic calenders you can get for on a refrigerator. In the summer they can be removed and stuck on the underside of the hood for storage.
    Don

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2410 TLB/MMM, Massey Harris MH50

I too am having this problem. (tach buries itself and makes a shrill whining noise) I tore apart the dash assembly and opened up the tach gear box and all seemed ok. I spread the grease around that was already in it on the gears and reinstalled. Now it hasnt done it since. The cold weather thing makes sense, it only does it during the winter for me.

Tractor
    2010 Massey GC2400

Haven't had the problem yet but thanks for letting me know what to look for. You guys are the best at keeping my machine running smooth.
    Kind Regards, Gary

GC2400,FEL,MMM, BOX BLADE,& SCRAPER BLADE

Nothing runs like a Deere, but I love my Massey Ferguson

http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/

My Updated Antique Tractor Pictures Link
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ba...74891758003196

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by massey56 View Post
    I too am having this problem. (tach buries itself and makes a shrill whining noise) I tore apart the dash assembly and opened up the tach gear box and all seemed ok. I spread the grease around that was already in it on the gears and reinstalled. Now it hasnt done it since. The cold weather thing makes sense, it only does it during the winter for me.
    I put the tape on the holes and it quit, I removed the tape, and it was squealing within 10 minutes, I put the tape back on, and it hasn't done it since.

As I posted earlier, I'm going to get magnetic calenders/signs, and use them in the wintertime.
    Don

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast