GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #31  
I have an idea if someone wants to test it. Cover the vent holes on your hood. I think the air is coming in there and causing the tach problems.

I was just out using mine, and it acted up. I removed the cable from the head, sprayed liberal amounts of 'Yamaha Chain Lube' on it again, and it's fine now. I can't test the theory because of this. But on the new 1700 series, they have eleminated the vent holes on the hood. I think that's 'the fix'.

UPDATE: After typing the above post, I went back outside and within 3 minutes mine was squealing again. I grabbed the Scotch tape and covered the vent holes in the hood, and after another 30 minutes of running at WOT, I got no more squealing.

More testing of this theory needs to be done, but if you look at the design of the screen assembly under the hood, you will see that it directs the air directly onto the tach assembly.

Last edited:
   / GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #32  
Update number 2. 1 hour of operating the Massey, 12 degrees outside, holes in hood taped over, no tach problems.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #33  
Update number 2. 1 hour of operating the Massey, 12 degrees outside, holes in hood taped over, no tach problems.

Brilliant.

Still glad I don't have a tach though. :D

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #34  
Thanks for the update Don

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #35  
Thanks for the update Don
Your welcome, and I can update for a third time now. I ran the tractor for another hour this evening, still fine.

Supposed to go into the single digits tonight, with lots of snow. I'll get another good test in.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #36  
Hey, Don, great to hear it sounds like you have a fix! Close to zero here this AM; we've had, other than that fluke of 50+ a few days back, a lot of cold up here-- but not a lot of snow. Getting tired of sweeping the dustings of snow away. Got another 1/4" last night, just enough to be a nuisance....:(

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #37  
Hey, Don, great to hear it sounds like you have a fix! Close to zero here this AM; we've had, other than that fluke of 50+ a few days back, a lot of cold up here-- but not a lot of snow. Getting tired of sweeping the dustings of snow away. Got another 1/4" last night, just enough to be a nuisance....:(
It's beginning to look that way, time will tell. I just used 'scotch tape', as it will deteriorate quite rapidly, and shouldn't mess up the paint at all. But for long term, I'm going to pick up small magnetic covers for it. Like those magnetic calenders you can get for on a refrigerator. In the summer they can be removed and stuck on the underside of the hood for storage.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #38  
I too am having this problem. (tach buries itself and makes a shrill whining noise) I tore apart the dash assembly and opened up the tach gear box and all seemed ok. I spread the grease around that was already in it on the gears and reinstalled. Now it hasnt done it since. The cold weather thing makes sense, it only does it during the winter for me.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #39  
Haven't had the problem yet but thanks for letting me know what to look for.;) You guys are the best at keeping my machine running smooth.:thumbsup:

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #40  
I too am having this problem. (tach buries itself and makes a shrill whining noise) I tore apart the dash assembly and opened up the tach gear box and all seemed ok. I spread the grease around that was already in it on the gears and reinstalled. Now it hasnt done it since. The cold weather thing makes sense, it only does it during the winter for me.
I put the tape on the holes and it quit, I removed the tape, and it was squealing within 10 minutes, I put the tape back on, and it hasn't done it since.

As I posted earlier, I'm going to get magnetic calenders/signs, and use them in the wintertime.