Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Masset Ferguson 2310

Default Re: Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Take a good look at the radiator hoses for wear. Especially around the throttle linkage. The wire end can pierce the hose, as well as the linkage itself wearing a groove in the hose depending on the hose's position. Vibration can affect both upper and lower rad hoses.

Thanks for that tip...also I see some moisture on cab heater hose...where hose clamp screw rubs on hose...does not seem like much but I guess it can make a difference...seems like the "leak" would be obvious when tractor is running....even though the amount of lost antifreeze appears to be relatively small. Not easy access because the bolts that hold the side cowling on are rusted on and cannot be removed without damage... I have been soaking in rust remover for months...not freed up yet.
    Last edited by dambuster; 02-13-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Tractor
    Allis 5030, Case VAC, Ferguson F40

Check your engine oil. Pop the radiator cap and look at the fins on the inside(if you can see them). If it looks bad, remove the thermostat and perform a block flush. Then a radiator flush by a legitimate radiator shop if need be. It can be pricy. Replace your thermostat with a brand new one.

Any broken fan blades? Change the temp sender? Just suggestions.

Tractor
    Masset Ferguson 2310

Many Thanks for your feedback...engine oil ia fine and the radiator was flushed by dealer and the fins are "clean & green" ad was said...but your radiator cap recommendation is certainly something that has NOT been done...good cheap experiment! Will do that and see what happens...the sensor is another possibility...

By the time snow melts and I put PTO back to work, we can re-evaluated....I have backhoe on now for winter plow weight....and handling a lot of snow...and cold...no over heating issues under current conditions. Again, many thanks to all for the suggestions!

Tractor
    Allis 5030, Case VAC, Ferguson F40

Quote Originally Posted by psdaigle View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.
    Kodiak is probably the best bang for your buck, but the bush hog has a smooth top that's easy to clean. I don't know what king kutter looks like these days.

Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

I run 2 Bush Hog brand bush hogs. A 7' on a larger tractor and a 5ft on a kubota B2150 24hp older tractor. I strongly recommend the 5 ft hog for your situation.You are not clearing heavy brush with upwards of 2 or 3" stocks. You will appreciate the extra width as others said matching your wheel width more closely. The 22hp at PTO will drive the 5ft hog with ease, esp in your mainly grass and light brush application. There are many good hog brands out there and as one said -- you get what you pay for. I like things that outlast me. The Bush Hog brand is simply top rung AND they back their products to the hilt. I say go for the 5ft. Bush Hog brand. I have one, use it on about the same capacity tractor as yours, great match. All that said, DEALERS MATTER. Take all that into account.
    jwr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MF2660 LowProfile, 7', 5' and 4' BushHogs, Orsi Articulated boom hydraulic rotary cutter, Landpride 6' finish mower, Kubota BX2200, Two Kubota B2150's, 5' snowblower, 6' blade, scraper box, Gravely 1983 w/sulky, mower & snow blower, misc. attachments. Pequea 1018 deckover trailer, half interest in Massey Harris Pacer family heirloom... and a lot of junk...

Tractor
    JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R

Had a 4' JD hog on the 18.5 hp 4010 (JD 2019E by today's nomenclature). Handled it fine.

Now have a Frontier 4' hog on the 24.5 hp 2025R. Handles it fine at 2500 rpm vs. PTO speed of 3000 rpm.

You only need 20 hp for a 4' hog. You could run a 5' one easily if you don't mind running full PTO rpm and don't mind its sticking out to the sides 6". That could be a problem on trails. You may find yourself hanging it on things.

I do trails.

Oh, the Frontier hog is a much better machine than the JD LX-4. Much easier to remove the blades. The stump jumper stays in place.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Tractor
    Kubota M6800 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by psdaigle View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.
    I have an extremely nice Frontier 2048 (4 footer) for sale....hit me up if your interested. The Frontier is high quality cutter. I believe they are partnered up with John Deer. I just don't use it much...plus want a flail for my grasshopper.
    2017 BX23S
    2004 Kubota M6800
    1974 IH 674
    2013 Sporstman 850 XP EPS
    2010 Polaris Ranger HD
    2001 Grasshopper 928D
    Grasshopper 60" Aeravator, IH 10 Ft Disc, 4 Row JD 7000, F/S UTV Sprayer, 11' Brillion Cultipacker, 72" Ratchet Rake, Herd Seeder, Bush Hog 276, Land Pride RC3615 Batwing, Land Pride Grader Scraper, 100 acres of Paradise...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123