Mowing Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #1  

psdaigle

Tractor
MF 210
Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #2  
:welcome:

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #3  
5 PTO HP per foot of blade so that puts you at 48 in. Woods is a good brand so is Landpride, go with chain guards if your cutting near buildings or people.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #4  
I would go with a 5' with an overlap you will be good. with cutters sometimes small its too small. with the 5' you can take smaller bites if needed.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey
I would go with a 5' with an overlap you will be good. with cutters sometimes small its too small. with the 5' you can take smaller bites if needed.

Any suggestions on a brand?

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #6  
I have owned a few brush hogs. I presently have a Land Pride RCR1860. Not saying that it is the best made but it's the best I have ever owned.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #7  
My dad has a MF 210 W/ a 4 Foot Rhino bushog. Got both new in 1976.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #8  
Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.

try to get one that is as wide as the outside of your rear wheels. That's probably 5 foot.You can always take a smaller bite after you open up a field. If you doing mainly grass < 3 ft tall then you could almost go to to a 6 footer but with small trees, I wouldn't.

I bought a 6 ft 5 Points by KingKutter with 60hp gearbox, slip clutch and front and rear chain guards about 5 years ago. (5pts is a nicer version of the standard Yellow KK's. That's all the place I bought mine from would carryy from KK because they were a higher grade version of their farm store line.) It was half the price of a comparable Woods with a plastic guard on the front only. I honestly could not find a good reason to buy a more expensive mower. Mine weighs in at ~750's and it's all my 27 pto HP TO-30 can handle from a weight standpoint. No problem on the Ford 4610 . Make sure what ever you buy that it's not too heavy for your machine. You have a FEL so that should adequately couterbalance a heavier cutter.
There are certainly more expensive cutters out there and I think Landpride is a solid brand as are others. However these are simple machines with easily replaceable parts and are as tough as an oak outhouse so I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them that weigh in at ~700 lbs. With chain guards, I paid about $1.60/ pound and I think that number is closer to about $1.90/ pound in today's dollars.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey
Anybody ever try the Nortrax?

/ Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey #10  
Hi psdaigle, I run a 5ft Woods on my 21 pto powered TYM273 and have no problems what-so-ever with power. I'm mostly just cutting grass and weeds but have no doubts about saplings. In fact, I'm sure I could power a 6ft if I had one. I collect branches and such from yard trimmings and I line up piles in a row to chop up rather than bother with a chipper. Have had zero problems. I'm sure you'll have enough power to run at least a 5ft. Good luck with your choice. Greg