Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 210

Default Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey

Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Buying a brush hog for a 22HP Massey

Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

5 PTO HP per foot of blade so that puts you at 48 in. Woods is a good brand so is Landpride, go with chain guards if your cutting near buildings or people.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    MF 1643

I would go with a 5' with an overlap you will be good. with cutters sometimes small its too small. with the 5' you can take smaller bites if needed.

Tractor
    MF 210

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    I would go with a 5' with an overlap you will be good. with cutters sometimes small its too small. with the 5' you can take smaller bites if needed.
    Any suggestions on a brand?

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I have owned a few brush hogs. I presently have a Land Pride RCR1860. Not saying that it is the best made but it's the best I have ever owned.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jd 4610

My dad has a MF 210 W/ a 4 Foot Rhino bushog. Got both new in 1976.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by psdaigle View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I know that this one has been beat up but I still need to ask...

I am buying a brush hog for my Massey Ferguson 210 it has a front end loader and is 25 hp with 22 hp at the PTO. I am inbetween buying a 4' or a 5' rotary cutter. I will be cutting mainly grass/weeds with a few small aspen (under 3/4") on flat ground. The field is roughly 7 acres and has some additional trails through the woods.. My intention is to buy a medium duty cutter something in the $1000 -$1250 dollar range. I have not picked the brand, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at the Kodiak, Woods, Bush Hog, Nortrax, and King Kuttter.
    try to get one that is as wide as the outside of your rear wheels. That's probably 5 foot.You can always take a smaller bite after you open up a field. If you doing mainly grass < 3 ft tall then you could almost go to to a 6 footer but with small trees, I wouldn't.

I bought a 6 ft 5 Points by KingKutter with 60hp gearbox, slip clutch and front and rear chain guards about 5 years ago. (5pts is a nicer version of the standard Yellow KK's. That's all the place I bought mine from would carryy from KK because they were a higher grade version of their farm store line.) It was half the price of a comparable Woods with a plastic guard on the front only. I honestly could not find a good reason to buy a more expensive mower. Mine weighs in at ~750's and it's all my 27 pto HP TO-30 can handle from a weight standpoint. No problem on the Ford 4610 . Make sure what ever you buy that it's not too heavy for your machine. You have a FEL so that should adequately couterbalance a heavier cutter.
    There are certainly more expensive cutters out there and I think Landpride is a solid brand as are others. However these are simple machines with easily replaceable parts and are as tough as an oak outhouse so I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them that weigh in at ~700 lbs. With chain guards, I paid about $1.60/ pound and I think that number is closer to about $1.90/ pound in today's dollars.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

Tractor
    MF 210

Anybody ever try the Nortrax?

Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona.
    Tractor
    273 TYM. 2009 //Scotts L2048

Hi psdaigle, I run a 5ft Woods on my 21 pto powered TYM273 and have no problems what-so-ever with power. I'm mostly just cutting grass and weeds but have no doubts about saplings. In fact, I'm sure I could power a 6ft if I had one. I collect branches and such from yard trimmings and I line up piles in a row to chop up rather than bother with a chipper. Have had zero problems. I'm sure you'll have enough power to run at least a 5ft. Good luck with your choice. Greg
    Gregster613
    (LT200 Loader, Woods RBC60 Angle Blade, Woods LRC60 Land Rake, Woods BB60 Rotary Mower, Woods PHD35 PH Digger, Woods GB48 Box Blade, Gearmore GR100 Middle Buster w/Potato Plow, Gearmore 3PH Forks, Gearmore Top & Tilt w/3 Spool Valve, Gearmore 48" Toothbar, Unkwn Brand 4' disk)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast