Massey 70 backhoe

/ Massey 70 backhoe #1  

smokinjoe

Tractor
MF 70
Hi all I hope someone can help me I have a Massey 70 backhoe with a Perkins 4-318 diesle. I just bought it and it ran well but the fuel lift pump was leaking as well as throttle shafts and shut off o'rings leaking. So I replaced everything but now it wants ether to start even when hot and lacks power it will barely pull itself??? Is it possible I still have air in system or when I had top of cav pump do I have the shut off cam not in the right place? Any help appreciated thanks

/ Massey 70 backhoe #2  
Sounds like a "lack of fuel" issue.
I just purchased the MF60 backhoe, lots of work ahead of me.
I'm in Rockland Ontario.
What did you pay for your MF70.

/ Massey 70 backhoe
Its in pretty good shape nice heated huge cab and many of the cylinders have been repacked but it could use a couple hose as to be expected! this summer i am going to blast and repaint it as it has a bit of surface rust in spots. i got it from a buddy who's grandfather owned it but had passed and they did not know much about it so i gave them $5500 for it? pretty cheap for a large backhoe and i think i have the issue fixed just waiting for warmer weather to bleed injectors but someone had repalced the pain in the &%&*( 3 piece fuel filters that those old perkins used but they did not notice that upper and lower gasket o rings are slightly different size and mixed them up thus causing an air leak so i repaced them properley along with new lift pump and gaskets later in spring i would like to upgrade to a newer style spin on fuel filters and blast and paint it I will send picture soon! is yours in good shape? running?

/ Massey 70 backhoe #4  
The MF70 "is' a strong machine.
I bought the 'owners manual" for it (the 70) because i couldn't get the one for mine.
Almost similar to mine, but not quite, so if you need an owners manual, I have one.
The body on mine isn't too bad, a few dings here and there, nothing I can't fix.
I need the rad repaired, the master cylinder and I have a tranny leak.
Yours must be the same as mine, if you look underneath at the transmission,
there's a plate you remove to get to the transmission screen to clean,
just beside that, there's another plate, ( it has 4 bolts holding it ),
in between those two plates, is a small drain hole:confused:
After mine runs for 5 minutes or so, tranny fluid will leak out that hole for about another 5 minutes.
So far, thats the only thing that worry's me.
Send me an email, (callrick86@hotmail.com ) if you like,
we can exchange horror stories.;)
You shouldn't have to bleed the injectors,
just before the pump, there's a bleeder screw, you should be able to bleed from there.
Have someone turn the engine over while opening that screw, air will bleed out through there.
From experience on diesel engines on truck, (pretty well the same thing ) once you open an injector to bleed, the dam thing will leak afterwards.:mad:
Then your in to changing "O" rings on all of them.