Oil & Fuel Changing the fuel filter on a MF1643

/ Changing the fuel filter on a MF1643 #1  

jtheise4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643 & Allis-Chalmers D14
Has anyone changed their fuel filter on a MF1643 (or any 1600 series tractor)? Mine is going to need changed fairly soon and the owners manual really isn't very descriptive. I've never owned a diesel before and it's my understanding that the fuel system needs to be bled after changing the fuel filter. I'm not sure how to do that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Changing the fuel filter on a MF1643 #2  
Turn off the fuel, unscrew the big nut holding the plastic bowl on, remove & replace filter element, install the plastic bowl making sure the o-ring is in place. I leave the bowl a bit loose & turn the fuel back on to let the bowl fill with fuel & push the air out, then tighten the big nut. Tight hand tight. Turn the key & leave it to the run position to let the fuel pump run a few seconds, the it should fire right up.

/ Changing the fuel filter on a MF1643
Thanks!

/ Changing the fuel filter on a MF1643 #4  
Turn off the fuel, unscrew the big nut holding the plastic bowl on, remove & replace filter element, install the plastic bowl making sure the o-ring is in place. I leave the bowl a bit loose & turn the fuel back on to let the bowl fill with fuel & push the air out, then tighten the big nut. Tight hand tight. Turn the key & leave it to the run position to let the fuel pump run a few seconds, the it should fire right up.

That is exactly how we do it, and it works great. We change the filter every fall, and strain all fuel when we fill the tractor.