Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30 #1  

amazingfacts

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
Has anyone had any experience replacing the PTO oil seals on a TO30? I've removed the snap ring and have been pounding the PTO cover(w/ 4 bolts) on a board however the oil seals won't budge. Do I need some kind of puller?

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30 #2  
Has anyone had any experience replacing the PTO oil seals on a TO30? I've removed the snap ring and have been pounding the PTO cover(w/ 4 bolts) on a board however the oil seals won't budge. Do I need some kind of puller?

I believe you'll need to press them out or, using a couple of boards, a vice, and a soft hammer, drive the shaft out of the housing while the retainer sits on the boards and the shaft hangs down between the vice jaws .I believe the seals are just press fit into the bearing housing and the bearing outer race is captured in the same housing and also captured on the shaft. hope this helps you.

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30 #3  
A picture would be nice of that your dealing with. On my 135 the PTO shaft came out rather easily. The reason it was leaking was it had an original type PTO seal, where the seal touching the shaft was leather. They dry out, they leak, or get grass wrapped up in them causing a leak.

When I pulled my shaft I had already removed the retaining plate =, but had to destroy / prying out the old shaft seal. I'm not sure how much different they are. I picture might shed some light.

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30
Thanks for the reply guys. A friend was actually able to tap the old oil seal out with a screwdriver and hammer. I believe it was the old leather type. Hope the new seal will stop the leak!

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30 #5  
Thanks for the reply guys. A friend was actually able to tap the old oil seal out with a screwdriver and hammer. I believe it was the old leather type. Hope the new seal will stop the leak!

If the new seal has a leather inner. I was told to soak the seal in tranny oil first before installing. If it's one of the newer types that won't be necessary.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

/ Removing PTO OIl Seals on TO30 #6  
the to-30 should be near identical in that dept as the 2n and 8n. in that you remove the split ring outter.. lef t the bearing carrier fall off by tapping carier end of the stub shaft down on a board., use a 2 5/8 or similar socket or seal driver to remove old seal. clean.. reinsert seal.. lube.. check shaft wear ring. check bearing and bearing clip ring retainer.. then put shaft bearing up set bearing carrier on it. tap ed down on a baord to seat. reinstall ring and go.