What does more HP get you?

/ What does more HP get you? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
More HP = more power of course, but in terms of actual operation how noticeable a difference would there be between the MF 1648 and 1652 models?

/ What does more HP get you? #2  
More HP = more power of course, but in terms of actual operation how noticeable a difference would there be between the MF 1648 and 1652 models?

Horsepower is the rate of doing work. So you could theoretically do a given amount of work faster. The couple of pto horsepower difference between these two machines is insignificant, in my opinion.

/ What does more HP get you? #3  
I guess if 8% is insignificant, then there would not be 2 different tractors sold. :confused3: When doing dirt work, it may be the difference in pulling 1 gear higher, if you are mowing it could be that you can either cut in a higher gear or cut with a mower that is a foot wider. There is a difference, now if it makes a difference to one person vs another, that can be a whole other story. ;)

/ What does more HP get you?
I guess if 8% is insignificant, then there would not be 2 different tractors sold. :confused3: When doing dirt work, it may be the difference in pulling 1 gear higher, if you are mowing it could be that you can either cut in a higher gear or cut with a mower that is a foot wider. There is a difference, now if it makes a difference to one person vs another, that can be a whole other story. ;)

Makes sense! The 1648 is a pretty clear step up from the 1643 what with larger load capacity. When I saw those two models side by side the difference between the hydraulics was pretty obvious. But I wondered why their next step up in HP was only to 52 given that apparently all other specs are identical. Probably as much marketing strategy as anything. (?)

Appreciate the input.

/ What does more HP get you? #5  
HP isn't every thing, the difference in the two is motor size 2.2l, 2.9l. You will have more torque lower in the power range with the the larger engine. If you look at the 1643 it has the same engine as the 1648 they both have the same power up to 2500 RPM the 1648 from 2500 to 2600 gets the extra HP. So the jump is closer to 9HP at 2500 RPM. The 1648 is in a larger frame then 1643 but the same as the 1652.

Doug

/ What does more HP get you? #6  
It's hard to say whether that horsepower difference will be significant to you. Often, the ability of a tractor to do a job is limited by weight and traction , and not horsepower . If there's a big difference in price you may have to decide whether you need the larger motor , based on your needs. Take a careful look at other differences between the two models, such as an adequate number of transmission speeds, and other options that come as a package with the larger engine.

/ What does more HP get you? #7  
Put duals on it and your back to HP making the difference, lol. I put duals on a 13hp Ford 1100 4wd and managed to get all the power to the ground!
David from jax

/ What does more HP get you?
Thanks again to all who replied. I will taking my newfound understanding of MF HP into account when making the final decision. Hopefully early next month!

It's hard to say whether that horsepower difference will be significant to you. Often, the ability of a tractor to do a job is limited by weight and traction , and not horsepower . If there's a big difference in price you may have to decide whether you need the larger motor , based on your needs. Take a careful look at other differences between the two models, such as an adequate number of transmission speeds, and other options that come as a package with the larger engine.