GC2400 battery dead

/ GC2400 battery dead #1  

bakerg

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere D110
So even though I did not get much snow here but we did get the wind and it blew the snow across my driveway causing a 2 foot snow drift. :( So when I got home I headed to my mother's shed to get my Massey out to plow the driveway.:thumbsup: Went to start the tractor up and the battery was dead.:confused: Tractor is only 2 years old so the battery should not be bad yet. Got the car and put jumper cables on and to my surprised the flashers on the tractor started flashing.:eek: What had happened was the my mother's cats had walked all over my tractor and had stepped on the flasher button and turned the flashers on and killed the battery.:mad: Got the tractor started and after plowing for about 1/2 hour put tractor back in the shed and turned it off and then tried to restart but no luck.:( Have the battery charger on it now and I will see tonight if the battery will hold a charge. I just hope the battery didn't freeze on me. ;)

/ GC2400 battery dead #2  
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, but it was grandson and not cats. Battery charger for several hours recharged battery, and it is still working today. Hope you have similar luck.

/ GC2400 battery dead #3  
maybe a half-hour of operation was not enough to warm up and re-charge the battery.
hopefully the charger will do the trick.

bakerg, you're down in my old stomping grounds... I still have nephews in Cottam, Kingsville & A'burg.
typically winter down there is just a couple months of bad golfing...

Pete

/ GC2400 battery dead #4  
I agree, in a really deep discharge, you need to charge it more than 30 minutes.

If you, or someone you know has a desulfating charger, now would be a really good time to use it on there.

When a battery gets deeply discharged, sulfur can build up on the plates, reducing their ability to hold a charge. A desulfating cycle sends pulses through the battery that can help shake the sulfur off the plates, extending it's life.

/ GC2400 battery dead
Try to start it today and it fired right up after charging it overnight. Will try in a couple of day to see if it still holding a charge.:thumbsup:

/ GC2400 battery dead
maybe a half-hour of operation was not enough to warm up and re-charge the battery.
hopefully the charger will do the trick.

bakerg, you're down in my old stomping grounds... I still have nephews in Cottam, Kingsville & A'burg.
typically winter down there is just a couple months of bad golfing...

Pete

If you know where Cottam is, than you must know where Bakerville is.;):laughing:

/ GC2400 battery dead #7  
If you know where Cottam is, than you must know where Bakerville is.;):laughing:

WTF:shocked: I forgot about the sign on that old building on the corner.
I used to live near Olinda, moved to Toronto area in 1969.

Your ancestors must have been famous. :cool:

/ GC2400 battery dead
Olinda, small world, I got married in the church in Olinda in 87.:thumbsup:

/ GC2400 battery dead #9  
If you have electricity where you keep your tractor I recommend you keep a battery maintainer on it. You can get a good one for around $50.

/ GC2400 battery dead #10  
If you have electricity where you keep your tractor I recommend you keep a battery maintainer on it. You can get a good one for around $50.

Agreed and even the $10 ones are much better than nothing.