2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #1  

solomon

Tractor
M-F GC2310TLB
Reposted from 2/10/13 on Parts/Repair. Several great people have responded to my post on that forum, however, it was recommended that I repost onto the M-F forum.

I have a 2007 M-F GC2310 that I purchased new that now has 599 hours. I work it hard on my 5-acre New Hampshire horse farm, however, I have always maintained it per the maintenance schedule and it always has run great. I was using it today (plowing snow) when it suddenly stopped running. I checked the fuses (including the two slow-blow fuses) and all are fine. The seat safety switch is connected and appears fine. Range selector is in neutral, PTOs are not engaged. Diesel is fresh and level is good. Coolant level is good. Headlights and flashers work when I turn the ignition switch on, however, the dash battery and oil lights do not light up (as they normally do) when ignition switch is turned on (bulbs appear fine). I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #2  
There have been some ignition switch failures lately.

Look for a wire broken off the back of the switch.

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #3  
When you turn the key on can you hear your fuel pump running.Another thing to look for is your shut off solenoid in the shut off position, is it in or is it out.With the key on push on the rubber boot of the solenoid and keep your finger on the boot,turn the key off and see if it goes in.The above should give you something simple to look and listen for.As mentioned in the above post check the switch for corrision broken wires etc;.Larry

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #4  
Reposted from 2/10/13 on Parts/Repair. Several great people have responded to my post on that forum, however, it was recommended that I repost onto the M-F forum.

I have a 2007 M-F GC2310 that I purchased new that now has 599 hours. I work it hard on my 5-acre New Hampshire horse farm, however, I have always maintained it per the maintenance schedule and it always has run great. I was using it today (plowing snow) when it suddenly stopped running. I checked the fuses (including the two slow-blow fuses) and all are fine. The seat safety switch is connected and appears fine. Range selector is in neutral, PTOs are not engaged. Diesel is fresh and level is good. Coolant level is good. Headlights and flashers work when I turn the ignition switch on, however, the dash battery and oil lights do not light up (as they normally do) when ignition switch is turned on (bulbs appear fine). I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You live in cold country and this time of year water in the fuel can freeze at the fuel strainer in the tank or on the fuel filter(s). If your using a summer grade fuel and the temperature is cold enough, your fuel can gell.
Remove the line at the filter that comes from the tank and see if you get a good flow of fuel. if you don't the strainer in the tank is clogged or the line is clogged. If you have a good steady continuous flow of fuel there, reconnedtthat line and open the line between the injector pump and filter. You should have a good steady flow of fuel here also. If you don't the filter is clogged. If you do then check the solenoid that's shuts off the fuel to the injector pump for functioning. It should open when you turn on the key.

It's not uncommon for condensate to accumulate in fuel tanks and contaminate the fuel with water which can freeze in several different place I the fuel storage and delivery system. Bacteria can grow at the fuel water interface and cause blockage problems in the tank strainer and lines. Try to keep you tank full to minimize condensation. Additives can help reduce the incidence of water freezing. Draining the seiment bowl below the filter can remove UNFROZEN water so you can use a blow dryer to heat a filter canister and if it has frozen water it will come out the bowl dranm since it's hevier than the fuel..

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow
Thank you for the reply Massey Driver. I see you are a 2300 owner as well. When I turn the ignition switch to on there are no sounds of any kind. I initially thought it was the ignition switch since the dash lights do not lighth up when I turn the switch to on, however, with the switch in the on position the headlights light up, so the switch allows power through it. The underside of the switch is clean, no corrosion, nothing broken or loose. Nothing happens to the solenoid when turning the switch no/off. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #6  
Thank you for the reply Massey Driver. I see you are a 2300 owner as well. When I turn the ignition switch to on there are no sounds of any kind. I initially thought it was the ignition switch since the dash lights do not lighth up when I turn the switch to on, however, with the switch in the on position the headlights light up, so the switch allows power through it. The underside of the switch is clean, no corrosion, nothing broken or loose. Nothing happens to the solenoid when turning the switch no/off. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Acknowledging one poster, thanking him twice, and ignoring the other two, is a strange way to go about making friends here.

You are right ray66v! I don't mean to offend anyone, guess I don't quite have the hang of the replying process. I have been responding to everyone but only certain replies take while others don't (and now I find out that somehow I sent two of the same response to one member!). Along with working on my tractor, I'd better work on the reply function of this site. So thank you Ray for the recommendation you sent a couple of days ago - every suggestion is helping me.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did as you suggested and I have good fuel flow, and the filter is clean (I changed it anyway just to take that off the list). The solenoid is in the open position and pushes in easily and springs back out when I release it. I keep the fuel tank topped off throughout the year (rarely do I let it get below 1/2, and never in the winter months, and I use an additive to evaporate water) - everything is good in the tank, line, and filters - no water. One good thing about this problem is my tractor will be fully serviced when all is said and done! Again, thank you for your time and suggestions - I really appreciate everyone's input.

/ 2007 GC2310 TLB Just Stopped Running While Plowing Snow #9  
Just to clarify about the fuel shut off solenoid.It actually only gets energized for about 10 sec when the key is turned off.The other thing you mentioned that you have good fuel flow?? is that with the pump running or just gravity feed to the pump.What has me confused is you say you can't hear the fuel pump running.So If you can't hear the pump running it could be that your not getting power to the pump.The pump is shown in the pics.Keep us posted as to what you find.Larry

Attachments

• fuel hose chg 005 (Small).jpg
    fuel hose chg 005 (Small).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 561
Hey everyone - finally got it! I decided to start over (a suggestion from my wife!) which meant starting with the fuses. I checked those first thing immediately after the breakdown. Every one of them looked good. No breaks, no burn spots, nothing. So I moved on. This time I tested them and the one farther to the right in the fuse block was defective! Visually it looked brand new. Lesson learned: fuses don't always tell the truth just by looking at them! And I am feeling somewhat foolish.

Thanks to everyone and all of your suggestions! This is a great site with terrific people on it! Hope to be able to return the favor one day.

Solomon