Tractor
    Massey 3165

Default Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches

Hi there I am new to the fourms here and i was hoping to possibly get some insight to some issues ive been having with a 1972 Industrial Massey 3165 that I purchased in the early fall of last year. Here is the issue. The tractor has the Perkins AG4-212 gas engine in it. It starts and idles perfectly but once under load it looses alot of power and backfires breathes fire out the stack. I think that the points may be to blame. (or thats where i am going to start trouble shooting) either that or the carberator. I was hoping if anyone happens to have a wiring schematic for the Perkins AG4-212, or has knowledge with these motors, they could help me figure this one out. All the help i get is greatly appreceiated
    Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 85 diesel

Default Re: Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches

Check the timing advance in the distributor. If it is stuck in the retarded position it will behave like your complaint. It should advance with engine speed and retard with engine returned to idle speed. It may just need freed up and lubed if the rotor lobe shaft is stuck.

Tractor
    Massey 3165

Alright I will look at that. Thanks so much for the help.

Tractor
    MF 165

Hi ALD. Your MF 3165 refers. You can also check to see if there is any oil present under the breaker points. A faulty codensor is another possibility. Many years ago we had a similar problem on a Bedford gasoline (petrol) engine. The oil isolates the breaker points from the breaker plate and by doing so prevents proper earthing.
    Hope you will solve your problem. I myself own a 1968 MF165 with a 212 diesel engine. Only diesels are available in South Africa.
    Epie. Paarl RSA