461 overheating

/ 461 overheating #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have a 461 that slowly overheats when bush hogging grass. Takes about 15 minutes to do so. 6ft cutter, radiator is clean and full. New water pump supposedly installed. Any ideas? I hate to take to dealer but no idea how to proceed.

Thanks

/ 461 overheating #2  
Have you actually washed the fins on the radiator? Just blowing through with compressed air will get the big stuff but leave the fines. I usually wash through the radiator (with the machine cool) with a simple garden hose with my thumb over the end. If there is some oil or something mixed in I may add some simple green or another cleaner too.
Also. are you certain the thermostat is opening? That tractor shouldn't have any issues with a 6ft cutter.

/ 461 overheating #3  
I have a 461 that slowly overheats when bush hogging grass. Takes about 15 minutes to do so. 6ft cutter, radiator is clean and full. New water pump supposedly installed. Any ideas? I hate to take to dealer but no idea how to proceed.

Thanks

Besides the other comments, make sure the air filter is not clogged, check the water pump belt for tightness, make sure you have the correct pressure cap on the radiator. Check to make sure the lower hose isn't collapsing at high rpm. look for continuous bubbles in the coolant indicating a blown headgasket.

/ 461 overheating
Great info guys. Yes the radiator is very clean. It has been washed and you can see through it easily with a light. Everything is fully open. So how do i check for bubbles? I cant open it when hot right? I will check all the other stuff too. Thanks

/ 461 overheating #5  
You can leave the cap loose or off & get it up to temp. How many hours are on your machine? If I remember right the water pump is gear driven and you can't really see it right? Have you checked to be sure it isn't a faulty guage?

/ 461 overheating
You can leave the cap loose or off & get it up to temp. How many hours are on your machine? If I remember right the water pump is gear driven and you can't really see it right? Have you checked to be sure it isn't a faulty guage?

It has 400 hours on it. I cant see it but really not sure what to look for

/ 461 overheating #7  
Ok , I ckecked and the water pump is gear driven and you can't see it. Well not enough to inspect any way. Do you have a cooling system pressure tester? I use that to determine leaks, head gaskets and such. You can put it on in place of the cap & read pressure build up & pressure drop. Was the water pump changed to correct this issue or did it appear after? Have you owned the machine for a while?
If all the basics have been checked: fan isn't damaged & is turning easy, coolant is the proper type and level, radiator is clean and free of debris, grille screens are clean, oil level is correct, load isn't too large for machine (6ft cutter isn't), coolant guage is functioning properly, coolant system is clean, thermostat is functioning properly.

That's where I would start. If all those check out, it may be time to check in more depth.

-Was the timing changed when the water pump was installed? The injection pump is right behind the water pump. If the guy didn't know what he was doing it could have been altered.
-Head gasket issues? Was the machine run hot enough to fail a component?

At 400 hours this tractor is still just getting broken in. I'm surprised to hear of a water pump replacement.

/ 461 overheating #8  
If the rest of the cooling system is checking out and you have a access to a thermal camera or ir temp gun I would check out the rad closer. It could be plugged up and not exchanging the coolant like it should. Usually easy enough to pull and taken to a rad shop to be dipped

Brett

/ 461 overheating #9  

Thanks

All of the above is good advice, but have you actually checked the water flow in the radiator? Looked inside for any whitish looking buildup. Fan belt tight? Bushing requires going slow. You might try a lower gear to keep you RPM's higher to see it it keeps it cooler. High brush limits airflow thru the radiator. Poor circulation will show up under those conditions. It the tractor temp lowers in open field and moving a bit faster, then it sounds like a circulation problem. Hard water is a radiators worse enemy. If all the above checks out, if it where me I'd look into removing the radiator taking it and have it properly cleaned. DIY cleaning kits are great for moderate to low contamination. A rad shop can check for leaks, pressure and give it a like new cleaning. Then only use a premium coolant/antifreeze with distiller water mix.

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

/ 461 overheating
I know this is a old post of mine but wanted to update it in case someone had same issue. Basically i bought this tractor used with 400 hours and at a very good price as the original owner had it overheat a couple times and didn't find the issue. I think he just got frustrated and wanted a new Mahindra to be honest. Anyway I to had some problems and even my dealer thought it just needed the radiator cleaned but to no avail. The dealer is 30 min away and i had other tractors so basically let it sit for a while. Then this weekend it was raining so I tore into it. Just as some others had mentioned it was a bad thermostat. Believe it or not it was totally destroyed. Apparently MF got the bright idea to save money and make it out of plastic. Well the plastic had broken and the metal valve section fell down into the top of the engine. I fished all the pieces out and put a new in place. Apparently MF figured out the issue as the new one was ALL metal. At this point I'm surprised that no one, including the original owner, checked for this. Oh well she runs great now and is back in production.

image-3488679951.jpg