Tractor
MF 1020
I've owned my;
Massey-Ferguson Tractor
Model MF1020
Series 2962
Tractor S/N 01949
Engine S/N 86041
For a few years now and I love it. I have two questions for a knowledgeable owner;

1- The owner痴 manual (for 1010 and 1020) says to check the transmission (etc) fluid level with the dip stick on the bottom of the fill cap. My cap does not have a dip stick. I am told to remove the overflow bolt and fill to run out. No one seems to be able to say what bolt. I checked the shop manual and the parts catalog, no help! HELP!!!

2- I did not know I had to check the oil in the fuel pump as a separate item. After it became hard to start, I found a reference to this in the owner痴 manual I had missed. I removed the fuel filter, and the cover place, drained out about 2 oz of sludge, and added the 6 ス oz of oil. The manual said fill to the mark??? What mark??? The tractor starts fine now but I would like to get the level right.

I知 sure someone out there has the scoop on this.

Thanks
Fred

kedco1@embarqmail.com

/ MF1020 Oil levels #2  
Hi Fred, and welcome to the forum.

The dipstick is not on the trans fluid filler cap, at least not on my 1010, and not in my owner's manual pictures. The two are side to side behind the gear shift lever on manual trans tractors. The filler cap is the larger of the two, and really is just a rubber plug.

On the fuel pump, glad you checked it out. I think the fluid used for the pump is motor oil, right? My understanding is that any overflow will simply drain into the engine crankcase; I've read this somewhere but cannot find it at the moment. I think 6 3/4 oz of oil is about right though. That's what the 1010 calls for.

Let us know what you find.

/ MF1020 Oil levels
Hey Lambs-

The 1020 is different from the 1010. When I ordered a 1020 owners manual, I was told that the 1010 was used for the 1020. The shop manual, for both models, seprates the models a varrious points, including the manual transmission.
MF1020 Transmission.jpg The attached drawing of the 1020 shows only a screw on fill cap (at 12:00 from the shift lever). The 1010 has a fill cap at 1:00 and a dip stick at 11:00. Where to check the level on the 1020 remains a mystery. The parts manual dosen't help finding an overflow bolt.

You are correct that the fuel pump uses the same motor oil as the engine. The owner's manual says to put 6 1/2oz of motor oil in the pump, but says nothing about checking the level, ant mark, or over flowing into the crank case. The shop manual ignores the pump oil.

Well let me know if you find the overflow source. In the mean time;

Keep plowing,

Fred

/ MF1020 Oil levels #4  
Funny how that diagram you posted looks like the one I would have seen had I consulted the I&T shop manual for the two tractors! Of course you are correct. I cannot find a reference to it, and the only operator's manual I have is for the 1010, so I can't see the 1020 procedure. I'd be guessing, but perhaps the technique is to unscrew the fill cap and just look down into the trans housing to see the level of oil.

I bought my 1010 Operator's manual off eBay several years ago. You might want to see if you can find a dedicated 1020 manual there and buy it. The other option would be to find a forum that covers the other brands of this tractor. I know Allis Chalmers, Simplicity, and Hinomoto all sold the 1010 under other model numbers of their own. This may not be true with the 1020.

I had occasion to remove the gear shift assembly from my 1010 and I think the oil level was just over the bottom of the gears in the trans so it would be picked up as the gears turned under power. But don't hold me to that one.

Of course you could call a dealer I guess and ask. My local dealer used to have an employee there who owned a 1020.

/ MF1020 Oil levels
For all those with an MF1020-

Transmission level. On the side of the transmission there is a bolt about half way between the shift lever and the floor boards, a inch or so in front of the fill plug. This is an overflow plug. Fill the transmission until it overflows from this hole.

Fuel pump level. Remove the fuel filter and the plate that is held in with two bolts. Below this opening is a drain plug. Drain and refill through the plate opening. HOW MUCH you ask. There is no reference, but 2 rumors; 6 1/2 oz and overflow goes into the crank case. If you have a for sure answer to this, please let me know.

Thanks Fred

/ MF1020 Oil levels #6  
Thanks kedco for the info on the levels, as a new owner of a 1020 myself, this info is much appreciated. i am still stumped on the hydraulic oil level check which seems to be the plastic plug just behind the shifter, which is level to the top with fluid at the moment. nothing seems to be pointed out in any manual as to the level this should be....could someone shed some light on this. thanks.

/ MF1020 Oil levels #7  
Norm123, the plug you are describing is the hydraulic fill plug. The oil level plug is on the left side of the transmission case just ahead of the creeper shift lever .

/ MF1020 Oil levels #8  
thanks, Super92d. i was unsure about the fact of it being filled right to the top of the hydraulic fill plug...i guess i can drain some off by opening the level plug. there is a vent way up top behind the seat, so here's hoping no seals would be damaged by the previous owners overfill.

/ MF1020 Oil levels #9  
hi group. Im going to piggy back off this older thread. my 1020 has lost power while running a rotovator. the 3pt hitch holding it up and running the pto is just too much now. i have a manual but it does not show where the hydro filters are to check/ change. im hopig filter has become dirty rather than any major problem.

/ MF1020 Oil levels #10  
if you are looking at the back of the tractor, it's to the left just beyond the brake drum. I'll get you a part number or equivalent.