how stong is my 431

/ how stong is my 431 #1  

araz33

Just purchased a new place, bought with a MF431. Sold my Ford 4600 thinking I would never need it again. Now I need to turn the sandy loam over to sprig with grass. It looks and feels like it is compacted. Flat as can be since once used as a grass farm.

Two questions:

I have read it is rated at 50 HP- will it pull a 7 ft tandem disk? Is it too much for this tractor?

Will it be easier and more efficient to plow first?

I figure 6 HP per foot and that would be close.

Thanks for the help

/ how stong is my 431 #2  
Looking at tractor data .com it seems that it's about equivalent to your Ford 4600 powerwise so it should handle a 7ft disk especially if you have loaded rear tires.

I'm no farmer but if the soil is compacted, deep plowing or ripping might be required first in order to breakup a plow pan.

/ how stong is my 431 #3  
Just purchased a new place, bought with a MF431. Sold my Ford 4600 thinking I would never need it again. Now I need to turn the sandy loam over to sprig with grass. It looks and feels like it is compacted. Flat as can be since once used as a grass farm.

Two questions:

I have read it is rated at 50 HP- will it pull a 7 ft tandem disk? Is it too much for this tractor?

Will it be easier and more efficient to plow first?

I figure 6 HP per foot and that would be close.

Thanks for the help

The MF 431 uses the Perkins 1103C-33 engine and is rated at 44 PTO HP.

It will pull a 7' tandem three point mounted disc in just about any conditions but will likely need ballast in plowed ground. This should not be an issue as you will likely need ballast to plow in any event unless you have very good ground and/or use a small plow.

The tires that came on my 533 (2007 equivalent of the 431) are long wearing and smooth riding on hard surfaces but do not bite well. Too much rubber in the center of the tread.

SDT