Hay operation using Gc2610

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #2  
I think you would be tearing up your tractor. I think these mowers are for compact tractors and not sub-compact tractors. The smaller mower requires 25 hp tractor and you would be right on the line. Not to say it couldn't be done.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610
I am looking at the baler not the mower. The manuf. says min 15 pto hp for the balers.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #4  
I looked at both. Your tractor is so low to the ground that I think when you straddle a windrow of hay you will just drag it in front of your tractor. I am seeing a picture of you cleaning your screen in front of your radiator very often cause your tractor is getting hot from all the little stuff plugging it. If you have ever mowed through some 12-18 inch tall grass you would know what I mean. I'm not saying you couldn't do it. Let me know what you come up with. And I'm sure you will get some more input after everyone gets up and has their coffee. :)

/ Hay operation using Gc2610
I looked at both. Your tractor is so low to the ground that I think when you straddle a windrow of hay you will just drag it in front of your tractor. I am seeing a picture of you cleaning your screen in front of your radiator very often cause your tractor is getting hot from all the little stuff plugging it. If you have ever mowed through some 12-18 inch tall grass you would know what I mean. I'm not saying you couldn't do it. Let me know what you come up with. And I'm sure you will get some more input after everyone gets up and has their coffee. :)
Good point about being low to the ground. Never thought of that.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #6  
I've thought about it myself, and yes, it could be done.

My thoughts were on using a sickle bar mower for cutting. They make small ones for subcompacts, but at 5 grand I said...........I think I'll pass.

As far as running over the windrows, that depends on your direction of travel, and the spacing of your actual windrows. You could always rake a little farther away to keep from running over the rows.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #7  
The old style square balers used to pull with the tongue set at an offset so that you could drive beside the windrow. I don't know if it would be possible to do that with those balers.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #8  
The old style square balers used to pull with the tongue set at an offset so that you could drive beside the windrow. I don't know if it would be possible to do that with those balers.
They have round balers that run directly behind the tractor, and square balers that run offset.

There is also another company(can't remember the name right now) that has a square baler that makes mini-squares...it ran offset also.

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHRRvMROSos

And here......as low as 13HP: http://www.agriquip.com/star/thb.html

As I said, if you plan your rows while raking, you will never run over an adjacent row while baling. And it can conceivably be done with a Subcompact tractor.

Last edited:
   / Hay operation using Gc2610 #9  
If you could use an offset baler it would better. It would be interesting to see a mini baler.

/ Hay operation using Gc2610 #10  
At $15K for a baler to bale mini bales, I think it outrageously priced. For that amount, one could buy a used old iron tractor and a used square baler and rake and sickle bar cutter.