Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti Dk50se hst

Default Hay operation using Gc2610

Don't laugh. Anyone have experience using the gc2610 for hay. I came across this company selling balers. I would like to hay 15acres. What do you think? Mini Hay Balers and Compact Hay Balers | Small Farm Innovators

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

I think you would be tearing up your tractor. I think these mowers are for compact tractors and not sub-compact tractors. The smaller mower requires 25 hp tractor and you would be right on the line. Not to say it couldn't be done.
    George

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti Dk50se hst

Default Re: Hay operation using Gc2610

I am looking at the baler not the mower. The manuf. says min 15 pto hp for the balers.

Tractor

I looked at both. Your tractor is so low to the ground that I think when you straddle a windrow of hay you will just drag it in front of your tractor. I am seeing a picture of you cleaning your screen in front of your radiator very often cause your tractor is getting hot from all the little stuff plugging it. If you have ever mowed through some 12-18 inch tall grass you would know what I mean. I'm not saying you couldn't do it. Let me know what you come up with. And I'm sure you will get some more input after everyone gets up and has their coffee. :-)
    George

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti Dk50se hst

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    I looked at both. Your tractor is so low to the ground that I think when you straddle a windrow of hay you will just drag it in front of your tractor. I am seeing a picture of you cleaning your screen in front of your radiator very often cause your tractor is getting hot from all the little stuff plugging it. If you have ever mowed through some 12-18 inch tall grass you would know what I mean. I'm not saying you couldn't do it. Let me know what you come up with. And I'm sure you will get some more input after everyone gets up and has their coffee. :-)
    Good point about being low to the ground. Never thought of that.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

I've thought about it myself, and yes, it could be done.

My thoughts were on using a sickle bar mower for cutting. They make small ones for subcompacts, but at 5 grand I said...........I think I'll pass.

As far as running over the windrows, that depends on your direction of travel, and the spacing of your actual windrows. You could always rake a little farther away to keep from running over the rows.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

The old style square balers used to pull with the tongue set at an offset so that you could drive beside the windrow. I don't know if it would be possible to do that with those balers.
    George

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    The old style square balers used to pull with the tongue set at an offset so that you could drive beside the windrow. I don't know if it would be possible to do that with those balers.
    They have round balers that run directly behind the tractor, and square balers that run offset.

There is also another company(can't remember the name right now) that has a square baler that makes mini-squares...it ran offset also.

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHRRvMROSos

And here......as low as 13HP: http://www.agriquip.com/star/thb.html

As I said, if you plan your rows while raking, you will never run over an adjacent row while baling. And it can conceivably be done with a Subcompact tractor.
    Last edited by Don87; 03-10-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

If you could use an offset baler it would better. It would be interesting to see a mini baler.
    George

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

At $15K for a baler to bale mini bales, I think it outrageously priced. For that amount, one could buy a used old iron tractor and a used square baler and rake and sickle bar cutter.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast