431 brake adjustment

/ 431 brake adjustment #1  

araz33

Just acquired a 431 that was a bit neglected. Brakes were almost bottomed out the first time I used it. Tried to adjust but the star adjustment is frozen. Any ideas on how to break free without removing the tires and breaking it free. Should I just try and adjust with the turnbuckles and forget about it?

/ 431 brake adjustment #2  
Just acquired a 431 that was a bit neglected. Brakes were almost bottomed out the first time I used it. Tried to adjust but the star adjustment is frozen. Any ideas on how to break free without removing the tires and breaking it free. Should I just try and adjust with the turnbuckles and forget about it?

You will need to remove the brake drums to inspect the brakes. If the star wheels are frozen, which is uncommon, you will need to free tham. Removal of the wheels/tires and brake drums is not difficult.

Are you using a proper brake adjusting tool?

SDT

/ 431 brake adjustment
using a screwdriver- will any break adjustment tool work? is there one specific to 431?

/ 431 brake adjustment #4  
using a screwdriver- will any break adjustment tool work? is there one specific to 431?

Any automotive brake adjustment tool will work. Though probably possible, it will be more difficult with a screwdriver.

SDT