1455V Electrical Mystery

/ 1455V Electrical Mystery #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
I had a problem a while back with my loader control valve. Left the tractor sitting out in the damp cold weather for a couple of weeks until I got the valve fixed and reinstalled. Then I couldn't get the tractor to start. No sign of power. Charged the battery. Cleaned the battery connections. Reconnected and cleaned the ground strap connection at the tractor. Cleaned the cable connection at the starter. Still no power. Came back to the tractor and it started the next day. While it was running I moved it to my shed out of the weather. The switch wouldn't kill it, and I had to kill it with the clutch. Since then I haven't been able to get it to do anything.
I have a shop manual, and my first thought was that it must be the slow-blow main 40A fuze but both it and the 60A slow-blow alternator fuze check out OK. All other fuzes are good.
What am I overlooking? There are no lights, no glow-plugs, no dash lights when the key is turned on... as if there wasn't a battery in the tractor. Battery is almost 13V according to my meter.

/ 1455V Electrical Mystery #2  
Bad key switch?? I would start there

/ 1455V Electrical Mystery
Thought about the ignition switch, but the lights should work without the switch being on. Lights, emergency flashers, etc. should be unswitched, and none of that is working.

Hopefully I've found the problem. Replaced the ignition switch and still had the problem. Have scratched my head for several days, but maybe the devils have decided I've been tormented enough.
I unplugged the connector going out from the ignition switch to the tractor to check power at those points and when I plugged it back up things seem to be working. Apparently plugging and unplugging a few times have cleaned up the bad connection. Hopefully this was the cause... however it seemed to be working several days ago and went crazy as soon as I tried to kill the tractor.

The gremlins are still active...
When I turn the key on the starter engages and the tractor cranks. I'm assuming that the starter remains running after the engine cranks. This time it does kill the engine when I turn the key off. Another change this time is the fuel gage isn't working. I removed the tape from the wiring harness behind the instrument panel to inspect but found no evidence of shorted wires.
Back to scratching my head.

/ 1455V Electrical Mystery #6  
Two things I would do first, unplug the ignition switch wires, look at the contacts, if they look normal, spray some WD-40 into and onto all of them on both sides, wait a few minutes then plug and unplug a bunch of times. Wipe off the excess mess and try it. If that doesn't work try adding a real heavy ground from the engine block to the frame.

This morning I decided to try removing the new ignition switch and putting the old one back in. As soon as I did the tractor starts perfectly with no problems. The problem to begin with was corroded contacts apparently, and the new ignition switch that I bought was faulty.