Massey 1030 PTO not engaging

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging #1  

mdwilkins

Tractor
MF 1030, 1949 John Deere B
I am new to the forum and I have a new to me 1030 with a 1017 backhoe using a PTO pump. The PTO quit working while using the backhoe today. Any ideas on what the cause could be? Did not have time to get the PTO pump off yet to see if it is the pump, plan to do that tonight. But it does not seem like the PTO is spinning. I am hoping it is something simple and not a clutch issue. Not looking forward to spliting the tractor.

Any help is appreciated
Mat

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Did you check to make sure the PTO lever did not jump out of gear or was not fully engauged go begin.

If there is a shear pin on the pump I would also check to make sure its not broke.

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging #3  
How does the tractor drive? The pto out shaft stopped working on mine. It turned out I had a mouse nest in the clutch pressure plate.

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging
It drives ok but yesterday when i was trying to trouble shoot it the clutch seemed to be giving me some trouble. It started moving when the clutch was down and had it in reverse (in the shop on level concrete) and was hard to change gears. Then after a few times it started shifting better, but not great. Also I get some noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, squeeking (maybe it is a mouse:)). Starting to think i need a new clutch. If the clutch were out of adjustment would this happen and would it cause the PTO not to work???

Mike I pulled the pump and it is good, the PTO will not turn at all, tried to engage it several times. No luck. Whith the tractor off if the PTO lever is off it spins free, when it is on I can feel resistance but can spin by hand. Thinking the clutch is going. Does anyone know if there is a sepersate PTO clutch, I have the service manual and been reading but the drawings are not that clear sometimes. I am waiting for the parts manual to arrive so I can get a better idea.

Really not excited about spliting the tractor.

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging #5  
Does anyone know if there is a sepersate PTO clutch, I have the service manual and been reading but the drawings are not that clear sometimes. I am waiting for the parts manual to arrive so I can get a better idea.

Really not excited about spliting the tractor.

Good Mornin mdwilkins,
Sorry to hear about your problems... I have the big brother to your tractor, Massey 1040.

There is an access cover on the left side of the clutch housing. Remove the cover and then have access to three bolts and locknuts. Each locknut needs to be loosened individually and have the bolt adjusted to .040 gap between the head of the bolt and main pressure plate. After proper gap is set tighten the locknut. Then adjust for the proper free play in your clutch pedal.

I would try this procedure before going any farther with your problem...

If you do need a new clutch, I believe that Hufner Farm in Torrington,Ct can get you a remanufactured clutch...

Well, I checked the bolts and adjusted them, they were very close to .040 when i started. I then set teh free play as close as I could, it is still too much per the book and is all the way out. The bad new is that when I opened the acess panel a bolt fell out. It looks like one of the ones from the three arms inside the clutch. The threads were stripped and worn down. So it looks like I will be splitting the tracotor and working on the clutch. I am thinking of splitting the tractor first to see what I need prior to ordering parts. I don't know what is bad, I will most likely replace the clutch plates and berings while I have it apart as it seems crazy to do all that work and not replace them.

/ Massey 1030 PTO not engaging #7  
MD,
I have a 1030 that I have adjusted the PTO bolts last year and was able to engage the PTO. That also was after the most adjustment I could make on the clutch rod. Now I can't engage the PTO(raking gears) Did you break your tractor apart and fix it? How big a job and how expensive?

Yes I had to replace the clutch, the spline ripped out of the PTO clutch and I had to have mine rebuilt. The cost was about 800.00 total for bearings and both clutches with shipping. It took a long day to split the tractor and two and a half to put it back together. I did not have a clutch alignment tool so that took me almost 6 hours just to get the tractor to fit together again. I sort of made one up with some misc srcap. I suggest getting one it would have saved me a lot of grumbling and frustration. As for how big of a job it was, depends i guess on your level of experience and if you have the jacks/lifts needed to support the two halves and move the front in and out as you work on the tractor. I had my father in law to help and he has worked on heavy equipment most of his life so that was a help. I have also done my share of mechanics work so not hard just time consuming. If you dont have the service manual, get it. I can not imagine doing it with out one. I did have to send my clutch out to be rebuilt and that added to the cost and had me down for two weeks waiting for the parts. They are getting hard to find replacements. Please let me know if you need any help, I will do what I can.
Mat