MF 231 steering cylinder

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #1  

johna1505

Tractor
MF 251 XE, MF 231
Have what is supposed to be a MF 231 made in Poland, probably in late 1990s. anyway, I need to replace the steering cylinders and a replacement is available for $506.10 each, but no seal kit is available and even these new ones cannot be rebuilt with a new seal kit if the need arises in the future. just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this problem before and has a suggestion to locate a more reasonably priced alternative to buying these parts.

AGCO number is 0011403U91 is LH cylinder and the 0011404U91 is the right cylinder.

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #2  
I had a steering cylinder off an old Oliver super 55 diesel that had a bent rod. The cylinder was a welded unit. I found a quality hydraulic repair shop, and they cut it apart, replaced the seals and rod, welded it back together for less than half the price of new if I could have found a replacement. I would start looking for a good shop before paying for new. New seals should not cost near as much as my replacement rod.

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #3  
Please remember to tell us how you resolve this problem. My MF 261 was also made in Poland and I may eventually have to repair or replace mine.

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #4  
From the fact that you say 'cylinders' and 'supposed' to be a 231, I gather that you are in some doubt that your tractor is a 231. My 261 only has only one steering 'cylinder'. Do you have two or was 'cylinders' a typo? Hopefully you have a different tractor and the cylinders can be rebuilt, after all.

/ MF 231 steering cylinder
my first tractor was an Oliver Super 55 gas, but it did not have power steering. this is my second tractor. so diesel mechanics is still a mystery to me. anyway, the local MF dealer who provided me with the information I have scoped out 2 places near him with the internal measurement of the seals, but had no luck with them. I do not know if they were repair shops or not. so, that is a good suggestion about contacting repair shops. a seal kit that might cost $40 or so is a far cry from $500 +. fortunately, these cylinders can be disassembled quite easily. thank you.

certainly. you will probably hear me shouting for joy if it goes one way or something entirely different if the other.

you are correct in that I do not really know exactly what I have. it has everything like a 231 in all the pictures I have seen, but it has the rear end of a bigger tractor with the wet brakes and all. it might be a 261. don't really know for sure. this is what a MF dealer told me it was when I sent him about a dozen pictures. offhand I mentioned all the gauges were made in Poland, and he said it was a 231 made in Poland. the interesting thing is that there is no serial number anywhere. other MF tractors have serial numbers, but not this one. does your 261 have a serial number? if so, where?
there are 2 steering cylinders. I was not aware some tractors only had one cylinder. learn something new every day.

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #8  
My serial number is located on the right hand side of the tractor as I sit on the seat. It's on the tractor's side, just in front of the instrument pannel. It's on a tag that's rivited to the sheet metal. I had to take some photo's a while back because I couldn't get close enough to read the number. It's partially blocked by the loader controls. I'll try to upload a couple of photo's.
IMG_20121219_104032.jpg
IMG_20121219_104045.jpg

/ MF 231 steering cylinder #9  
I guess, you've already checked at Tractordata.com about locating the serial number on the 231. It says it's on the right side of the instrument panel.
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 231 tractor information

This seems to indicate that it's in the same location as on the 261.
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 261 tractor information

The steering cylinder on my 261 is located behind the grill in the battery compartment and I'm pretty sure it would be located in the same place on a 231. Maybe you should send the photo's, you took to a different dealer or, put them up in a thread called something like, 'Identify this Massey'. I jump on threads of that type, tractor people seem to enjoy a contest.

the sheet metal I have has no tag where it is supposed to be. or in the rear behind the seat. or any other place where they have been placed. I will see if I can some pics later on in a new thread where you suggest. it was interesting researching this myself before contacting a dealer. I can see why others do too.