massey 1240 4x4 grinding

/ massey 1240 4x4 grinding #1  

Petie

Tractor
massey freguson 1240
800 hours on it bachkoe and loader. most of the time is backhoe time. drive line sounds like a dif is going out or transfer case is acting up. I lifted all 4 wheels using the loader and elevators. could not figure where noise was coming from. any ideas ?

/ massey 1240 4x4 grinding #2  
Hey Petie,
I also own a 1240 with 4x4. I've never had this type of noise before, but I have a couple questions. Is it only happening when you're driving the tractor? If so, does it only happen in 4 wheel drive, and not when it's in 2 wheel drive?

On the front end, here's a thought. Not sure if you have the factory manuals but they describe a procedure called checking the "front end axle float". Basically if you lift the front axle off the ground with the front end loader, you'll find that the axle is able to pivot up and down on either side (i.e. push down on left tire, right tire will go up). The procedure calls to check to see what the front to rear play of the axle is.

With the axle off the ground, grab onto one side of the axle and try to pull it forward and back. I believe spec is 0.004 to 0.012" of play is acceptable. So really there should be no front to back play at all.

Recently I was talking to the dealer mechanic about a fuel filter question on this tractor. He had worked on a lot of these 1200 series over the years and so he started telling me all about these machines, and front axle float was one issue not to play around with. He told me that if that axle has play in it, it's possible for the driveshaft to walk out of the axle and he's seen it smash up the oil pan, and take out all kinds of things. Plus when the front axle is loose, the welds on the front and rear center supports can crack, which is big $$ to fix too. According to the manual excessive play will make the tractor noisy when operated.

When I looked at mine, I still don't quite understand how the front axle can have fore/aft play, as the center supports don't seem to allow the axle to move?? Then again I didn't mess with the adjustment bolt. It was clear that I could move the front axle forward and back, but only enough to stick a feeler gauge between the axle and center support. There is a bolt and locking nut on the front center support which is used to adjust this play. Also make sure all the bolts for the center axle supports are as tight as can be, and there are no cracks on the welds for these supports.

Certainly not trying to scare you. The mechanic told me these things are great machines with just a few finicky things. The rear ends are supposedly very tough and he doesn't usually see issues. But he stressed the front end axle float to me quite a bit.

Other than that any signs of leaking fluid/low fluid level?

Good luck, interested to know what you find.
Dave