GC2400 100 hour service

/ GC2400 100 hour service #1  
Tractor
MFGC2400
My 2400 has 105 hours on it and it is time for the 100 hour service. Does anyone know the best way to have this done? My dealer wants to charge $600 plus $85 to trailer it to the shop and back! I'm ok with wrenches and have done my fair share on cars and trucks, however the tractor is intimidating to me.
Does anyone have a step by step way to do this?
My wife lost her job and we cannot afford to send it to the dealer to have this done. With mowing season finally here in Vermont and me owning a good sized chunk of land the hours are going to be racking up quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim

/ GC2400 100 hour service #2  
We all recommend doing your own service.

You shouldn't need instructions, beyond the service manual. It's not complicated. Remove drain, remove and replace filters, replace drain, fill.

Don't forget to remove and clean the transmission suction screen, located on the left side of the rear end. If you remove the tire, you will see it.

MF allows for replacing the hydraulic oil in the front axle, with 80/90 EP gear oil. I suggest you do that for the best protection, but it's not totally necessary.

/ GC2400 100 hour service #3  
My 2400 has 105 hours on it and it is time for the 100 hour service. Does anyone know the best way to have this done? My dealer wants to charge $600 plus $85 to trailer it to the shop and back! I'm ok with wrenches and have done my fair share on cars and trucks, however the tractor is intimidating to me.
Does anyone have a step by step way to do this?
My wife lost her job and we cannot afford to send it to the dealer to have this done. With mowing season finally here in Vermont and me owning a good sized chunk of land the hours are going to be racking up quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim

Mmm,
I checked my owners manual and my initial service call was at 50 hours. The only think it recommends at 100 hours is engine oil, oil filter, clean-inspect air filter, check antifreeze level and lube zerks. My next major services is at 250 hours (hydro oil and filter).
Its all easy to do by the way-I was kinda surprised at how easy.

/ GC2400 100 hour service #4  
If you did not have a 50hr service done, you should follow what ray66 says and do the hydraulic oil and filter also. If it was serviced at 50hrs then you just need to do the service on the engine and grease. Operator manual has evrything mapped out. Like they are saying, it's pretty easy.

/ GC2400 100 hour service #5  
Last edited:
   / GC2400 100 hour service #6  
I assumed since he mentioned $600, they were planning to do the works.

But, yeah 100 hrs. is an odd interval?

/ GC2400 100 hour service
Mmm,
I checked my owners manual and my initial service call was at 50 hours. The only think it recommends at 100 hours is engine oil, oil filter, clean-inspect air filter, check antifreeze level and lube zerks. My next major services is at 250 hours (hydro oil and filter).
Its all easy to do by the way-I was kinda surprised at how easy.

I had the dealership do the 50 hour because they supposedly wouldn't honor the warranty that came with MF if i couldn't prove that I did it.
Thank you all for the info! I'm going to try and tackle it this weekend.
What engine oil is best for the tractor? I will grab a filter from the dealership over the week. I lube the zerk fittings every time I wash the tractor which is quite a bit.

/ GC2400 100 hour service #8  
I had the dealership do the 50 hour because they supposedly wouldn't honor the warranty that came with MF if i couldn't prove that I did it.

In the future, I suggest you don't let people cheat you with that kind of obvious, out right lie.

If they did the 50 hr, how the (expletive deleted), do they have the audacity to charge $600, for what would be an engine oil change, and a grease job then?????

About half of us are using Amsoil synthetic. But, any diesel specific oil like Rotella will do.

/ GC2400 100 hour service
In the future, I suggest you don't let people cheat you with that kind of obvious, out right lie.

If they did the 50 hr, how the (expletive deleted), do they have the audacity to charge $600, for what would be an engine oil change, and a grease job then?????
About half of us are using Amsoil synthetic. But, any diesel specific oil like Rotella will do.

I agree and feel like a moron for even considering it. Like I said I was intimidated by the tractor as I have never owned a diesel before. Thanks for all the info!

/ GC2400 100 hour service #10  
I use Rotella 10w30 as the books says but it also says depending on the temperature, you can use 15w40.