mf 135 repairs

/ mf 135 repairs #1  

plunger

Tractor
mf135
Hi I hope to ask some questions on a little diesel 135. I have no idea how old it is. It is used to cut fire breaks on a small holding 300acres and this farm is about 700km away from me. I seldom visit but the tractor needs attention and its expensive getting someone to go there. I have inherited this small holding and it borders a lion park and it is my responsibility to ensure there are firebreaks.
First question is the battery was flat. I replaced the alternator as I could see it was cracked and assumed it was damaged. This is a cheap universal alternator. I wired it the same as the old one. Big wire to the starter and little wire could only go to one lug as the clip was a specific size. The light did not come on.I followed the little wire to the charge light but then ran out of time. Where does the little wire go to ? How is an alternator wired for simplicity.
It has a 674 battery in Is this to big.
Does this tractor have a glow plug?
Thank you

/ mf 135 repairs #3  
Hello Plunger,Firstly provided the battery is 12volt then the larger battery will last better. I simply fitted the biggest battery the battery box could hold. Next several years were easy start on frosty mornings.It did about 400 hours/year.
Heat start; single unit in the manifold.