MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP!

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP! #1  

Blunderbore

Bronze Member
Tractor
1993 MF240 w/ 2400QT FEL
I am trying to mount a loader to my 240 But I am having some problems with the hydraulics. I can get the bucket to raise but it will not lower. It does not seem to be relieving pressure in the hydraulics.

I have the inside lever to constant pump, where should the draft be?

The same is happening with the bucket, I can get it to go one direction but it will not go the other direction.

Thanks!

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP! #2  
Not familiar with the hydraulic setup on the 240 but may offer some suggestions if it is similar to a 135. Does the tractor have a two or three handle auxiliary that sits on top of the transmission just in front of the seat? You can log on to agcopartsbook.com, log in as guest user, search "accessories" "Massey Ferguson" click on 100/200/1000 series. scroll down to auxiliary hydraulics 2 spool valve 10591a91. look for item #31 which is called switch valve. This is to change the auxiliary valve to single acting to double acting. If the valve is screwed out turn it clockwise till it seats gently. This may be the problem if you have a valve similar to this. Hope this helps.

namyessam

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP!
Not familiar with the hydraulic setup on the 240 but may offer some suggestions if it is similar to a 135. Does the tractor have a two or three handle auxiliary that sits on top of the transmission just in front of the seat? ....
namyessam

Thank you very much for the reply. Let me start by saying I know nothing about tractors and even less about hydraulics. I purchased this from the owner that bought it new 19 years ago. I saw it operate flawlessly on his MF230 so i thought it would be a straight hookup to my 240.

Attached is a copy of what I found in the accessory book and a picture of the loader control valve for the bucket.

loadervalve.JPG

SwitchValve.png

valve.JPG

After looking switch valve #31 I am not sure that would be my issue.

Any other thoughts? Should I look further into the control valves or diverter valve?

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP! #4  
forget what I mentioned about the auxiliary valve setup in front of the seat, I was just guessing what you had without all the information. What you have, I believe it a divirter valve changing the flow of oil from the three point to the loader. What I think is the problem is the return line on the left hand side of the tractor is hooked to the presure side also. From what "Hutch who goes by shona13 has said in another thread where the op asked where he could check the hydraulic pressure of the pump, I believe where you have that line hooked is one, the other is on the cover that was replaced by the diverter valve and the last is on the right hand side of the housing under the diverter valve. If your return hose is long enough. Take the fill cover off by the shifter levers. Disconnect the hose, intall the plug back into the housing, put the hose in a short distance into the fill hole being sure not to be caught in anything and cover the balance of the hole with a rag to prevent splashes and start the engine at a slow speed and try and operate the loader. Someone else on the hydraulics forum wanted to do this and JJ told him to change the fill cap so a return line can be hooked to it. That my best guess. Maybe someone can confirm this. I don't know of any other place to hook a return line. Good Luck

namyessam

Thanks namyessam

I think that is the issue for sure. The system acts as if both sides are under pressure. I hooked the return line to what I thought was the same location the previous owner had it connected to but obviously not. I then tried the connection directly under the diverter valve which yielded the same results because, as you stated that is a pressure connection as well.

Thank you so much for the assistance. I won't get another chance to work on it until next weekend but I am confident that is my problem.

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP! #6  
Thanks namyessam

I think that is the issue for sure. The system acts as if both sides are under pressure. I hooked the return line to what I thought was the same location the previous owner had it connected to but obviously not. I then tried the connection directly under the diverter valve which yielded the same results because, as you stated that is a pressure connection as well.

Thank you so much for the assistance. I won't get another chance to work on it until next weekend but I am confident that is my problem.

What I don't understand is when a genuine Massy auxiliary valve is used it purpose is to run a double acting cylinder so there must be a port under the valve or the transfer plate for the oil to return to the sump. I have never had my auxiliary valve off to see, but what I find confusing if there is a port for a return line, why the people that make the divirter valves don't provide a port on the valve for a return line. Anyone have any insight into this?

namyessam

With the information you have provided and a fresh set of eyes this morning I see my mistake. :confused2:

I am at work and not near the tractor but looking at the image I took yesterday I see where I was supposed to connect the return line (at the green arrow).

valve.jpg

/ MF240 with 2400qt Loader HELP! #8  
With the information you have provided and a fresh set of eyes this morning I see my mistake. :confused2:

I am at work and not near the tractor but looking at the image I took yesterday I see where I was supposed to connect the return line (at the green arrow).

View attachment 322099

That's great news. That will make the job alot easier than modifying the fill cap. These tractors are very similar in many ways but have slight differences especially in the newer model. This will be good information to remember on the 200 series tractors.

namyessam

I wanted to close this thread for anyone that may come across it in the future, and to thank namyessam for the help.

The issue was with the return line. I had incorrectly connected it to a pressure port. Once I moved the return line to the correct location, it all operated as expected.

Thanks!