Massey V8

/ Massey V8 #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
I have to relate a story in this forum:

A farmer down the road from me had a Massey V8 Row cropper. He decided to convert it into a pulling tractor for the fair circuit.

He added water injection, had the engine balanced and blueprinted, M&H pistons, the whole 9 yards.

Anyway, he sold it last year, I think it scared him. His son got a ticket on the paved road south of our dirt road, seems as though he passed a school bus with the Massey. The speed limit is 55 on that road and the cop radar gunned him at 62!!. I wonder what the kids on the bus thought when they looked out the window and a farm tractor was passing them.

Two brothers north of here bought the tractor. One of these days, I am going to go up there and take some pictures of it. It looks pretty intimidating with the chrome valvecovers right on the frame rails and the 6" straight pipe.

/ Massey V8 #2  

62 mph on a tractor....thats gotta splater some bugs on the old chompers while grinning and flying, bet that has a pucker factor in the tripple digets. I for one would love to see pic's of this machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whiskey

/ Massey V8 #3  
There is a Massey V8 on our (Northeast WI) "farm" tractor pulling circuit (farm is a relative term here), and this year, no one can touch him in the 12500 and 15000 lb classes. That tractor is simply amazing. Typically IHs (1066s mostly) dominate the heavy classes, though there was a local guy with a JD who was hard to beat for quite a while, but now he's moved on to more organized pulls, and doesn't always make the farm events anymore. Anyhow, this Massey has really gotten it together recently, and the big classes are hardly competitive. Of course it's nice to see another brand (if not another color) stick it to the IH boys, though I wish another hot JD would come along. To listen to that tractor wind up is amazing. No one can touch his RPMs. That's something, considering that, while the "farm" rules are pretty loose around here (no tractor that ever sees a field could compete with the purpose-built pullers anymore), he still has to do it without things like water injection, propane (as far as anyone knows), multiple turbos, and so on.

/ Massey V8 #4  
The old girl probably was born an MF1155. One of my buddies had one when I farmed many years ago. We lived about 2 miles apart, and on a quiet night I could stand in the yard and him him tach it up with a disk or cheisel. Sweet sounding machine.

Attachments

• 312004-MF1155.jpg
    312004-MF1155.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,577
   / Massey V8 #5  
This kind of stories I'd like to hear more! I've always been a huge fan (not in weight) of old Masseys, especially V8 -Perkins engined ones. My homefarm has been running Masseys from late 60's, and they've never missed a beat! Thanks for the great pictures.

/ Massey V8 #6  
Oliver/White built several tractors with V8s. But the OP is talking about a modified tractor. When I was a kid a local farmer stuffed a small block V8 in an M Farmall and used it for farming. I don't know how fast it would go on the road. Considering the original engine would probably turn 1700-1800 rpms I'm guessing the 3500 rpm V8 would really git down the road.

Speaking of getting a speeding ticket, Dad had an 8N with over/under. My job as a kid was to drive it to town with a 2whl trlr and haul loads of bulk pelleted hog feed. One evening leaving town I just got her in Overdrive when the local town marshal drove up beside me in his car yelling at me to slow down. As a 10 year old kid, freaked me out and I did. When I got home I told Dad. That night I listened to my Dad yelling at the Marshal on the phone. "Leave my Son alone you lazy piece of s**t, he's working, you aren't". Never saw my Dad so mad!!! :laughing: