how to replace the pto seal on MF 245

/ how to replace the pto seal on MF 245 #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
Pto seal leaking big time, can anyone tell me how to replace it, I have a new seal but it looks too big, I took the the 3 bolts off the retainer and that's far as I got, not sure how this comes apart,, any help will be greatly appreciated.

/ how to replace the pto seal on MF 245 #2  
If it's put together like a 135 it's pretty easy. You need to drain the oil from the tranny reservoirs. About eight gallons. or either park the tractors rear end at an upward slope to keep from draining the entire cavity. The seal is pressure molded metal with either a leather or rubber seal seal that has a sharp edge which faces towards the oil. Once you drain down the oil and have removed the retainer. Engage the PTO lever. This will lock a few items in place so you can remove the shaft. It simply slides out. An easy way to pull it as I did. There should be a hole in the spined shaft end. Put a piece of rope thru it and make a loop about a foot from the shaft. Take a hammer end and loop it into the rope. Now use the hammer to jerk the shaft loose. Be care and slide the shaft out when loose. You may need a cold chisle to cut the old seal out. Pay attention how the seal mounts. Now put your new seal in a lightly tap it back in untill it seats. Reinstall the shaft, and retainer.

Goto AGCO Parts Books and lookup your tractor to familiarize yourself with the parts first.
-kid

/ how to replace the pto seal on MF 245
If it's put together like a 135 it's pretty easy. You need to drain the oil from the tranny reservoirs. About eight gallons. or either park the tractors rear end at an upward slope to keep from draining the entire cavity. The seal is pressure molded metal with either a leather or rubber seal seal that has a sharp edge which faces towards the oil. Once you drain down the oil and have removed the retainer. Engage the PTO lever. This will lock a few items in place so you can remove the shaft. It simply slides out. An easy way to pull it as I did. There should be a hole in the spined shaft end. Put a piece of rope thru it and make a loop about a foot from the shaft. Take a hammer end and loop it into the rope. Now use the hammer to jerk the shaft loose. Be care and slide the shaft out when loose. You may need a cold chisle to cut the old seal out. Pay attention how the seal mounts. Now put your new seal in a lightly tap it back in untill it seats. Reinstall the shaft, and retainer.

Goto AGCO Parts Books and lookup your tractor to familiarize yourself with the parts first.
-kid

thanks for the info, I will try it tomorrow

Thanks for the help, this was so easy it should be against the law, even my mech. (my 12 year old grandson said it was easy, I bought this tractor last week so me and the boy would have something to work on, this was the greasiest dirtiest machine I've ever seen, we about have all the leaks stopped and after a couple baths you can work on it without being covered, the tractor runs great but I don't think the previous owner did a lot of cleaning and maint., we have all the sheet metal off and are going to repaint and put new decals own it, still have a small fuel leak out of the manual pump, but once again thanks for the tip.

/ how to replace the pto seal on MF 245 #5  
Thanks for the help, this was so easy it should be against the law, even my mech. (my 12 year old grandson said it was easy, I bought this tractor last week so me and the boy would have something to work on, this was the greasiest dirtiest machine I've ever seen, we about have all the leaks stopped and after a couple baths you can work on it without being covered, the tractor runs great but I don't think the previous owner did a lot of cleaning and maint., we have all the sheet metal off and are going to repaint and put new decals own it, still have a small fuel leak out of the manual pump, but once again thanks for the tip.

Your welcome. It's a real eye opener in what they charge to do that procedure in a shop. There are numerous answers to he most common problem with tractors here on TBN. I've learned a great deal reading here as well.

Are you working on a Perkins engine? -kid

It has a Perkins diesel, the engine has 1730 hrs, its a 79 model, we are taking it apart and are going to paint the sheet metal and rims and put some new decals on it, tractor is basically a good machine, was just dirty and greasy big time, replaced fuel cut=off cable, oil leak under dash going to meter and couple more little items, it cranks immediately and runs good

/ how to replace the pto seal on MF 245 #7  
Kid how deep do you drive the seal into the seal retainer?