MF 1010 won't run

/ MF 1010 won't run #1  

Hillbilly7735

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I have a Massey Feguson 1010 which just stopped while I was bushhogging. My first thought was a fuel line problem, as the tractor turns over fine, but will not start. I sprayed some ether into the breather, and still nothing. I checked the bowl and the filter appears to be clean. I also checked the line from the tank to the bowl, and it was also clear. I tried to bleed the injector lines. The first 2 bled fine, but there was not very much fuel coming through them. I then tried the last line, which is the one closest to the pump. Nothing came through. I disconnected the line from the pump and the injector, and checked it. The line seems to be clear, as I can easily blow air through it. I then turned the switch on, and found that it isn't moving any fuel out of the pump through that line. I thought this was odd, because the other 2 lines are getting fuel, but there is nothing coming through that last one. It appears that I am going to need to either rebuild or replace the pump, but since the tractor won't crank with ether, I am afraid there may be more problems. This is the first diesel engine I have owned, and I am pretty much lost. I have owned the tractor for a little over a year, and other than replacing a radiator last summer, I haven't had any problems. This just suddenly happened. The tractor sputtered for a few seconds before it died, but it was pretty quick. The only light that came on was the alternator charging light. I know it certainly sounds like a fuel problem, but as I stated earlier, it won't even start with ether, so is there another problem I might have? I am looking for any help with the problem. In the event I do have to replace the fuel pump, does anyone have information as to where I might find one?

/ MF 1010 won't run #2  
When you say it sputtered a few seconds before it died, what do you mean by that? Maybe you mean that it sputtered in the field before it died. Or was that with ether? Earlier you said you sprayed ether into the breather, and still nothing.....so it would help if you could clarify.

By the way, you should never spray ether into the breather of a diesel engine that has glow plugs like your 1010. The reason is that when the engine is cranking, it supplies current to the glow plugs, so you could get some pretty nasty results, and damage to your engine, by using ether. I doubt you hurt anything in this case, but you may want to keep that in mind for future reference.

Since you are in the south, we can rule out fuel jelling in the lines in July!

That being said, if it did fire with ether, then you pretty well know you have compression. And you have described other fuel issue clues in detail. Most likely your pump has in fact failed. A lot of owners do not realize the fuel pump has motor oil in it for internal lubrication. Yours may be dry. If I were you, I'd have the fuel pump checked out. If that's the issue, then you can get an estimate on what it would cost to have it rebuilt, and go from there.

Some parts are no longer available for these tractors. My guess is a new fuel pump would be expensive even if you could find a new one. But you can always check with a local Massey dealer if you have one nearby. An alternative for a used pump may be sheaftractor.net; I haven't contacted them for a while but last I knew they also operated as Japanese Tractor Repair Dixon, IL. They seem able to source parts under the various brand names the tractor was sold under, which include Allis Chalmers, Simplicity, and Hinomoto, so that allows a broader search than what a Massey dealer can do.......

The various dash lights on your tractor could be burned out. Unless you know they are good, it wouldn't mean a lot that they did not all light. If you got an alternator light, the other two that did not light up would be a low oil pressure light and a glow plug "on" light. Normally if you turn the ignition to the on position, with tractor not running, all 3 will light up.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

/ MF 1010 won't run
No, I was in the field when it sputtered out and died. I could never get it to fire after that, even with the ether. When I tried bleeding the fuel lines, it just seemed to be a really weak stream of fuel, which makes me think fuel pump is not operating correctly. No, I did not realize that there is oil in the pump so ill definitely check that out. I have sent it to a friend's shop to check it out, but he is also concerned about finding parts to repair it. I appreciate the info on that website. Ill check it out as well. I am hoping I can a local place to rebuild the fuel pump, if we can figure out for sure that is the problem. Thank you.

/ MF 1010 won't run #4  
There's a side cover on the fuel pump for the oil, and a drain plug near the bottom on the left. You slide the cover open and put 7 ounces of motor oil in it, the same oil as in the crankcase. Any overage will drain into the crankcase, so you don't have to measure it perfectly. You're supposed to drain and refill the oil, I think every 200 hours.

Since it stopped as you described, unless something just broke in the engine, you basically have no fuel pressure. As you know, the way to shut off a diesel is to shut off the fuel. Good luck with the repair. Let us know what you find out and whether or not you can get parts.

You may want to invest in an owner's manual and an I&T repair manual (MF-47) for your tractor. I have both of those, and also got an official parts list from my MF dealer. You could probably call a dealer and have them mailed to you. The I&T manual covers fuel filters and lines, bleeding, injection timing, removal and installation, governor and injection pump camshaft, engine speed and governor adjustments, and injector nozzles.

/ MF 1010 won't run #5  
I had this problem on my MF-1010, yesterday and will utilize your comments to determine the problems. Mine at least waited until I got back to the yard before it died. In my case, the Water Temp light came on just before opening the gate, and died as I was pulling up to the garden hose ....

I've got a few other spring time projects going right now, but will post more as I get time to diagnose ...