MF 135 FEL ? ? ?

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #1  

AggieDad

Tractor
MF 135 & Ford 8N
I have a 1973 MF 135 gas tractor and I was wondering if it can handle a front end loader. I have 14 acres and I want to do some dirt work and also use it to clear some fence lines. If anyone has added a FEL, how does it work for you? What size bucket do you have? About how much did it cost to add?

Thanks AggieDad

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #2  
I have one with a front end loader, not really a dirt machine. We use it to load manure with a 1/3 yd. bucket or move a little snow. Mine is a MF model 100 loader. I would not add one, as a matter of fact I leave mine off most of the year, would remove it all together if I didn't need a loader tractor in the field for loading manure.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #3  
I got my 135 this spring - it came with a Kelley FEL with a trip bucket. Not a huge fan of the trip bucket, but I think it's certainly better than not having one at all. I've read a lot about the 135 not having a strong enough front end to support a loader or the FEL making the turning difficult... can't say I've had any issues to date - even without PS. Granted I'm not filling the bucket full ever and my bucket is only about 3' wide (fits in between the loader arms) but I'm almost to the point where I'm considering upgrading the FEL to use to plough snow as opposed to buying a blower. But that's merely a thought so far.

I actually can't say anything definite as far as cost goes, but when I first got it I asked at my local MF dealer and they suggested to buy a decent used one and run all the hydraulics etc it would be in the $2K neighbourhood. A new one would be worth more than the tractor so that wasn't an option (for me anyways)

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #4  
Hello Aggie dad, You will need to factor power steering into your costing.
Also be aware that the hydraulic pump is only adequate for the 3point linkage and will be sluggish with a front end loader. You will have a "change-over-valve" to work the loader OR the 3 point linkage.
Bucket size is about 1/3 of a cubic metre/yard.
Recommend a hydraulic crowd as a manual trip is very limiting.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #5  
I concur with Redman on the hydraulic bucket. It's been wet here and I might still be stuck if I hadn't been able to back myself up hill with the bucket. Down pressure on the loader arms was probably necessary too, but having never tried without it, I can't be sure.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #6  
The MF135 is not a very suitable tractor for a FEL--front axles are not strong enough except for scooping loose material. Also, the "power steering" on the MF135 is actually "power assisted steering" provided by a dinky hydraulic gizmo built into the steering column. True power steering on a tractor uses a hydraulic cylinder (ram) attached to the front axle. So FEL work with a 135 will give you a good upper body workout.

Apparently the MF150 is a better FEL tractor.

Good luck.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ?
Thanks for all the info. I think I will just have to sell my 135 and my Ford 8N and buy a new diesel 4 wheel drive tractor equipped with a FEL - that or rent a tractor when I want/need a FEL.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #8  
Thanks for all the info. I think I will just have to sell my 135 and my Ford 8N and buy a new diesel 4 wheel drive tractor equipped with a FEL - that or rent a tractor when I want/need a FEL.

A new diesel would be cool it that is what you want.

I went to get a FEL for our 1976 MF 265 and for about the price of a new one I came home with a 1983 JD 310B backhoe ($7200) and have done a lot of cleaning up on our 15 acres with it. Now that it has a thumb it use it even more than ever. A full size backhoe is a work horse and it actually burns less fuel I think and both are 60 HP. It is great for pulling out the other stuff when we get it stuck. :)

So for $10K or less you can really get all your FEL+ work done on your time schedule. Unless you have money burning in your pocket there is no reason to loose your 135 and 8N.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #9  

I see MF65's for sale locally all the time with a FIL. Larger frame, Diesel, wider stance, all where equipped with PS. They can be found at a decent price too. Usually around 6k which is far cheaper than buying near new 4WD.

/ MF 135 FEL ? ? ? #10  
I have a 1973 MF 135 gas tractor and I was wondering if it can handle a front end loader. I have 14 acres and I want to do some dirt work and also use it to clear some fence lines. If anyone has added a FEL, how does it work for you? What size bucket do you have? About how much did it cost to add?

Thanks AggieDad

One other thing: the internal hydraulic pump on the 135 is pretty small--about 4.5 gal/min flow. This means that your FEL very likely will be sluggish. The flow on my Mahindra 5525 is 10.5 gal/min and the 6-ft wide FEL on that tractor is no speed demon either.

Some folks install an auxiliary hydraulic pump on the front on the 135 engine. You have to be careful here. The original owner of my 135 installed such a pump and managed to crack the crankshaft where it goes through the front main bearing.

Just a few more things to consider before you lash up an FEL to your 135.