Backhoe 75 50A backhoe won't swing left

/ 75 50A backhoe won't swing left #1  

Jervis

Tractor
2012 Massey Ferguson 1648 Dyna, 2008 Kioti CK20s HST, 2012 Kubota B2630 w BH77
Hey fellas,
We have recently purchased an old 50A backhoe and has worked well up until a day ago. I was digging with the hoe when suddenly it wouldn't swing left. Still swings to the right just fine but not left. I have swapped the external PRV for both sides with no change. I should note that during the last little bit the hoe wanted to swing left on its own just a slight bit.

If anyone has experienced this before or has knowledge of what it might be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

/ 75 50A backhoe won't swing left #2  
If this has the vertical swing cylinder/motor it could be bad seals inside. I just rebuilt one on a Deere and I could see it happening. The swing seals have a rubber between 2 plastic backers. If one backer was broke, I could see the machine swinging one way but not the other. It would also drift that way.

/ 75 50A backhoe won't swing left
JasG,

It does have the swing motor. Thanks a lot for your reply, how was the task at replacing the seals? Any real tricks we should be aware of?

/ 75 50A backhoe won't swing left #4  
JasG,

It does have the swing motor. Thanks a lot for your reply, how was the task at replacing the seals? Any real tricks we should be aware of?

Below is my post under construction machinery. My seals and backers were in good shape, so I did not do them. I could not break the bolts loose and would have probably had to buy a 3/4" drive impact wrench or heavier tools of some kind. I had a 4' breaker bar and was bending it a lot and could not get them to break loose. They were also 12 point bolt heads just for those seals. If they do go bad, then I will have no choice. Mine also has a tapered pin that connect the swing motor to the back of the backhoe and it is not clear which way it comes out. I could not get it out, so I ended up doing what is below. The rest was easy. I had 3/4" drive sockets for all but the 12 point bolts, they were needed to take on all of the other bolts.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...286695-deere-backhoe-swing-motor-removal.html
I think the kit was about $180.00, I picked it up a few months ago. Your going to need 3/4" drive sockets and I used a highlift jack handle as a cheater bar over my slide handle drive. A huge impact wrench would be handy too. Some of the bolts are 12 point if you need to do the seals that I didn't do. Break as many of the top and bottom end bolts loose as possible before you loosen the cylinder. There are 2 bushings, one in each end collar to line the cylinder up correctly. To get the cylinder to break free I loosened up both the top collar and the bottom collar only about 1/8". Then put a bar between the cylinder and the swing frame, near the top. Freed the top, then moved the bar down to the bottom and did the same. I had the top fee 1st, but with the bolts completely removed I couldn't break the bottom loose, the cylinder kept tipping. I also had the hoe swung over the left (as viewed from the seat looking at the hoe) as far as I could and still get in there to work some what. This allowed me to get the cylinder out without removing the tapered pin and torque link. Then could slide it out onto a board held up with 2 cement blocks.

2 of the holes in the top and bottom plates are threaded for 7/8" bolts to push the plates off the cylinder body.

I did not do the seals that are on the main shaft that control the swing or the ones that divide the inside of the cylinder. I couldn't break them loose and they looked good still. Really I just needed the top and bottom O-rings and backer rings.

Deere and Massey were the only 2 machines I know of that had a swing motor like this, there many have been more. I believe the switched mainly because it doesn't have as much swing power as the rod type cylinders. I could be wrong on that though.

We took the swing motor out last night and discovered one of the little aluminum wipers on the left side had broken apart and gouged the shaft and the stationary seal. We are going to try and repair the shaft but will need the little wiper and a seal. Any idea where to get parts for these if its possible?

Any idea where I would get the flapper seal and stationary seal that runs on the back side of the shaft?

/ 75 50A backhoe won't swing left #7  
The only source I would think would be a Massey dealer. These aren't common any more and the seals are not going to be common to anything made today I would think.

As I said I only know of Deere and Massey using this system for backhoes.