Using Oil

/ Using Oil #1  

jgb3

Tractor
1529 massey ferguson
hi everyone. i'm new to the sight. I bought a 1529 massey ferguson hydrostat tractor last year and I love it. but it has used 2 & 1/2 quarts of oil in 173.2 hrs and the rpm's drop some after an hrs mowing. has anyone else had any problems with oil consumption or rpm's. dealer is trying to find problem.
thanks for any replys

/ Using Oil #2  
Hoping you've done an oil change in there somewhere? Does it smoke at all?

/ Using Oil #3  
Oil should have been changed at 50 hours and 150 hours. Thats a awfull amout of oil to use. I would assume its blowing a good cloud of blue smoke.
Is all the maintinence up to date? Hows the coolant look.

A compression test will help give a idea of whats happening inside the engine.

If the oil has not been changed from the factory it needs to be changed NOW.

/ Using Oil
All maintenance is up to date. The massey rep is saying it might be normal, or it's where I run it on some steep ground. The dealer kept saying before that it was just because of the hundred hr break in. He doesn't have an answer now. most people I talk to says there tractors don't use oil like this. But none own a 1529. I wondering if any other 1529 owners had any problems like this.
Thanks for the reply.

/ Using Oil #5  
Car's and possibly tractors have a horrible "acceptable" oil use spec. My buddy who is a BMW tech said acceptable consumption for a M5 is 1 liter for every 1000km. That's a little under a quart for 650 miles. No sure exactly on other cars, but I seem to remember my sister having a newer Chevy that used a quart between oil changes and they said that was acceptable when she complained under warranty. She traded that one in quick. That would NOT be acceptable for me . Keep digging and complaining.

/ Using Oil #7  
All maintenance is up to date. The massey rep is saying it might be normal, or it's where I run it on some steep ground. The dealer kept saying before that it was just because of the hundred hr break in. He doesn't have an answer now. most people I talk to says there tractors don't use oil like this. But none own a 1529. I wondering if any other 1529 owners had any problems like this.
Thanks for the reply.
The rep is not telling you the truth, it's not normal. The mechanic knows better.......or should be flipping burgers.
While I don't have a 1529.............I've been working on engines since I was 12 years old. Your engine is messed up.

/ Using Oil #8  
Car's and possibly tractors have a horrible "acceptable" oil use spec. My buddy who is a BMW tech said acceptable consumption for a M5 is 1 liter for every 1000km.

That is the truth. My Mom's last Cadillac, (North Star V8), required a quart of oil nearly every other fill-up at the gas station. General Motors official verdict was, "A quart of oil usage in 1000 miles, is within acceptable limits".

Conversely, the Nissan engine in my Villager, just used a 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes, (5,000 miles), for the first time ever. It has 221,000 miles on it.

/ Using Oil
thanks for reply. I feel the same way. iv'e ran equipment all my life and they don't use oil unless there's a problem. I am going to talk to the rep again and probably go to his boss.

/ Using Oil #10  
thanks for reply. I feel the same way. iv'e ran equipment all my life and they don't use oil unless there's a problem. I am going to talk to the rep again and probably go to his boss.

Keep us informed.