MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use

/ MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use #1  

Mike476

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab
Made it home to get some work done, had to put up a new barn and that meant taking down a few trees, moving stumps / roots and debris. Had someone come in with a hoe to remove the stumps. I've used the tractor mostly to move / level dirt and manure, move building materials /sheds around, shingles to the roof, that kind of thing.

Having the loader is a god send, no question. Love my 135, don't think I'll ever part with it but there is certainly something to be said for having a loader.

- Not a large tractor but has good weight to power ratio (rears loaded),
- Not a loud running diesel and is very smooth,
- Lots of hyd pressure / volume at idle,
- Seems pretty good on fuel for a tractor this size,
- Very stable, I was concerned with the cab it may feel top heavy, while I've been careful I haven't ever felt the tractor get light yet. Tremendous lifting power with the bucket, moved 6 foot buckets full of wet sand around handily. You knew you had some weight up front by how the tractor sat and displaced soft dirt with the weight up front but no issues with lift capacity or keeping torque to the ground,
- Love the dyna QPS. At first was a little stiff, with use it seems to be getting more fluid. When dragging our riding arena it does seem to shift a little harder with ground engaging imlements, not harshly just noticeably. Wife and daughters caught on to driving it right away, pretty intuitive,
- Did have a couple of foggy mornings (WHAT, fog in NS), the window defrosters made clearing the glass on all four sides a breeze. Front and rear wipers made operating in fairly singnificant rainfalls a non issue (I know, rain too),
- Absolutely impressed with how quiet the cab is; ergonomics are good, obvious that a lot of thought went into positioning of controls / levers and yes, love having a radio / CD / MP3 player too,
- Went with ag tires because of requirement to work in manure piles, snow etc. Was concerned it would make driving it like being in a tank but I must say, while not as smooth a ride as tractors with turfs I've driven certainly not uncomfortable to drive either,
- Like having both doors that open and two rear corner windows, as well as the rear window, that will open up. Heps with circulation but also when you need to hear what's going on outside the tractor or see what's happening up close to the tractor,
- Exterior lighting is good, floods at the top of the cab and headlights make visibility at night a breeze.

Dislikes

- The seat. Essentailly the same seat they use on their open station tractors, they could raise the bar a little there I feel,
- Would like to see wiring for trailer and tail lights be standard equipment. There are the two upper lights for tail lights which work very well but I like being seen; the lenses etc are there, wiring etc should come as standard equipment IMO,

That's really about it for now, after only 20 hours use in fairly good conditions I have to say I'm very impressed with it, look forward to spending some time in my toasty cab this winter whenever I can get my girls out of it............

Stable 1.jpgStable 14C.jpg

/ MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use #2  
Good Mornin Mike,
Really nice lookin tractor ! Wish you the best of luck with your new ride !

Im sure you will accomplish alot of work with that beast, and glad to see the girls enjoying it also !

Just curious on a ball park price on that machine, I can allways dream ! ;):)

/ MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use
Good Day Scoty,

Thanks, I'm sure it will get a lot done for us.

Prices are regional as you know, I went to a dealer that actually wasn't the closest to me. Depending on the options you order them with, this one he was asking $42K for it, I paid considerably less (a little better than 10%) than asking price.

Dealer agreed to the typical free tire loading, supplies for first servicing and an excellent price for the Massey Ferguson Shop manual. Also delivered it about 120 miles free of charge.

I'd been looking for a few years, saving when we could. This will likely be my last tractor purchase, with the MF 135 for working in thicker woodland and helping to move snow on those calm star filled winter's eves this cabbed tractor will make anything we need done child's play.

/ MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use #4  
We need a side by side picture with the 135 please.:D

Can't do it in the same photo, not until I get home again at least. Don't have a lot of pics of either actually, might have to remedy that when I get home.

Stable 14B.jpgMF 135 010.jpg

/ MF 1660 - thoughts after only 20 hours use #6  
God Afternoon Mike,
Gee that MF 135 looks like new also !!! :)

Thanks, gentleman farmer I bought it from got it off a poultry farmer. A little corroded and banged up, nohing too serious though. Painted it with leftover basecoat / clearcoat from painting my '04 Ram Poppy Red.