Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

Default MF 65 burning serious fuel

Hey guys. I have an older MF 65 gas burner and I had problems with the fuel tank,took it off and used a small coke bottle(20 oz) as fuel tank to get tractor to barn.
    Very short ride to barn( 900') and already burned entire 20 oz. No implements,bout half rpm ride.So just curious and I filled the 20 oz bottle up again to see how long it would just idle out of gear on 20 oz...
    5 MINUTES is it. That equals about a gallon every 20 minutes at just idle.. No
    I have no exp. with this tractor at all and maybe this is what I should expect. It looks to have an aftermarket fuel pump on it ,and always smells flooded, I do have owners manual on way to research more but what is ya'lls experience with fuel consumption at idle, electric fuel pump, etc... thanks

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: MF 65 burning serious fuel

Even for a gas model that is way too much fuel. We had a AC model D17 with about the same HP but with diesel and it would idle for an hour thru lunch and not burn the fuel out of the neck in the fuel tank. It would run all day pulling a 14 foot disk on 20 gallons of fuel @ WOT.
    Your fuel consumption is about like a friends boat that had dual Chrysler 440 cu. in engines and really sucked the fuel. The owner said he timed how long it took to just turn up a 1 gallon milk jug and empty it and his boat would burn fuel faster than that at cruise speeds.

Your engine cant be consuming that much fuel and must be pumping it out as raw gas somewhere. It should be in the neighborhood of 2 gallons per hour. I am surprised that it would run without flooding out with that much fuel consumption.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

That is way to much fuel. Is the tractor smoking at all? Check to see if there is gas leaking out of any lines. Also check the oil to be sure there is not gas in it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    xyz

Quote Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
    Hey guys. I have an older MF 65 gas burner and I had problems with the fuel tank,took it off and used a small coke bottle(20 oz) as fuel tank to get tractor to barn.
    Very short ride to barn( 900') and already burned entire 20 oz. No implements,bout half rpm ride.So just curious and I filled the 20 oz bottle up again to see how long it would just idle out of gear on 20 oz...
    5 MINUTES is it. That equals about a gallon every 20 minutes at just idle.. No
    I have no exp. with this tractor at all and maybe this is what I should expect. It looks to have an aftermarket fuel pump on it ,and always smells flooded, I do have owners manual on way to research more but what is ya'lls experience with fuel consumption at idle, electric fuel pump, etc... thanks
    Why the electric fuel pump? weren't these tractor's gravity flow to the carburator? Check your engine oil for a strong smell of gasoline and overfull condition. The gas has to be going somewhere.

namyessam

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

Ok i will check the oil. The motor does not smoke at all and actually runs really well..

About the electric fuel pump......I still haven't got the repair manual for this thing but it looks aftermarket and there are some solid fuel lines(they seem to be copper or brass) that have been cut and crimped off?? Unfortunately the operator of this tractor passed away and the owner doesn't know much about it/

Thanks ya'll

Tractor
    820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240

Pull off the rubber hose at the carb that go's to the air cleaner, check the choke to see if it is open all the way, sometimes the cable moves and it causes the
    choke not to fully open.
    This is a possibility since you stated it smells like it is flooded, and would account for the excessive fuel consumption.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

ok I've done some work to this tractor and found a few things..The fuel tank had a leak and previuos owner put some tank fix crap in it. Clogged up the lines so he put an electric fuel pump on it to suck the fuel thru the crud.. New tank,no more fuel pump,running good. There is gas in the oil so I drained it.. What is the best way to make sure the gas did not do damage in the oil,and to get all residual fuel out of oil??

Tractor
    820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240

The only way i can think of is to "drain the old oil out, let it drain overnight, add new oil and filter and you're good to go.
    As far as any damage the diluted old oil may have caused is. Does the engine run as it did before, any smoke or blow by, any unusual noise that was not there before ?
    If no to the above, then i would say you're ok.

I would change the new oil and filter in the next 10 hours of running as an added precaution.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    65 M-F,354 International, 6245 Zetor /loader, GC2600 M-F /loader, BX24 Loader/BH, 450 Case Dozer, 1150 Case Dozer

If you can find a number/name on the carb do a search, there is an excellent video online on how to adjust the carb of that 65. I rebuilt one of ours this summer and followed the directions on the video and it runs like a charm and sips the fuel. Start within a second and idles great.