MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts?

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #1  

Niji

Silver Member
Anyone have any experience with the MF 4245 transmission shuttle shift (electronic)? I've got a neighbor who bought a used 4245 about a year ago and occassionally it'll just not shift into either forward or reverse. Sounds like an electronic shift issue, and perhaps there's a short? When it malfunctions the two dash lights come on with the gear logos on them. The oil level is fine in it, so there's no obvious reason for the lights.

When it won't shift, sometimes he can cut the motor, restart, and it will go right back to working--in fact, it is usually that simple. Yesterday, however, he was helping out over here on my place and the malfunction kept us dead in the water for about 45 minutes--he says it's only acted up that bad one time before. We even tried disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes to see if that might reset a computer, but no luck. It was raining, and he says it's more prone to do it when it's raining, so we're thinking it's likely a short (which of course could be anywhere), but I was hoping somebody here might have some insight that would narrow it down, or point us to a particular component to check.

Any insights much appreciated!

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #2  
Could be several things from Connections to the Power Shuttle Lever module needs replacing. Probably best bet is to have dealer test and locate the concern.

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts?
Could be several things from Connections to the Power Shuttle Lever module needs replacing. Probably best bet is to have dealer test and locate the concern.

Thanks for the note. My theory was there might be a sensor that detects hytrans fluid level and perhaps if it's malfunctioning and tells the system it's low then that maybe is triggering the dash warning lights and perhaps there's an electronic safety deal that won't allow the shuttle shift to go into either forward or reverse. My neighbor says he actually found a sorry connection to something that could be such a sensor and he remedied that. Also, in the past he pulled the shuttle shift module and cleaned all connections on it and says it went a long spell without messing up afterwards.

He also heard from some source that with a loader (his is equipped with one) sometimes the power shift models can think they're low when they aren't, so overfilling just a little can help--so he's put a little extra fluid in there as well. So far so good since repairing that one connection and adding fluid.

I assume the problem with getting the shop involved is that if it isn't malfunctioning at the moment, there's nothing to detect so they'd need to be on hand when it happens?

Thanks for the input, and I'll report in if there's any more info on this mystery.

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #4  
Is the shuttle gear box a 12x12 or a 8x8

edit - just re-read and realized you said electric
So do you mean
(a) there is a small button on the shifting lever itself - which is considered the 18 x 6 speedshift model
or
(B) you lift the shifter up out of the saddle and select it forward and then you have more forward gears you can toggle upward.

If its B
I think that tractor will have a bottom of the clutch switch on it. I have seen them act up and the tractor not move and do exactly what you are describing. It will eventually get to the point that a restart wont help. If it has one it is probably the old plastic model. It has since been upgraded to a metal one. Check and see if it has one.

Last edited:
Is the shuttle gear box a 12x12 or a 8x8

If its B
I think that tractor will have a bottom of the clutch switch on it. I have seen them act up and the tractor not move and do exactly what you are describing. It will eventually get to the point that a restart wont help. If it has one it is probably the old plastic model. It has since been upgraded to a metal one. Check and see if it has one.

Masseywrench--you are dead on the bullseye with that! I shared your note with my nieghbor and he checked for a clutch switch and sure enough his is equipped with the plastic model. He depressed the switch by hand and the tractor shifted out of gear and the same dash lights lit up, so it seems very likely to be the culprit. He's going to change out that switch for the upgrade and see if it does the trick. Thanks a bunch for the help!

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #6  
I have seen those get to the point that a restart wont fix it and by the time you figure out what it is, you have unhooked the batteries several times, unplugged and replugged several connections,then all of a sudden the computer locks out and needs to be reprogrammed. If that happens you have to go into the electrical system and install a resistor wire in a certain location as it will not let the Laptop connect to the tractor. Hopefully since its still shifting, this wont be an issue.

Glad to help.
Maybe that will take care of the problem.

I have seen those get to the point that a restart wont fix it and by the time you figure out what it is, you have unhooked the batteries several times, unplugged and replugged several connections,then all of a sudden the computer locks out and needs to be reprogrammed. If that happens you have to go into the electrical system and install a resistor wire in a certain location as it will not let the Laptop connect to the tractor. Hopefully since its still shifting, this wont be an issue.

Glad to help.
Maybe that will take care of the problem.

Okay...I've got an update. The new switch is installed and the malfunction went from being a daily occurance to much more occassional. It sounds like maybe a time or two a week at most. It seems the switch was clearly involved. Any thoughts on where to apply pressure next?

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #8  
did he get the new style switch or did they sell him another plastic one?

/ MF 4245 Transmission Malfunction--any thoughts? #10  
I have seen this a few times in my career where a tractor had almost this same issue you are describing. It ended up having to be reprogrammed with the software that a dealer has. Your friends tractor has probably threw this code a lot more than you think, which in turn messes with the computer. It will have to go to the dealer to permanantly correct this issue. In doing so, there is a restistor wire that has to be hooked up on the tractor so that the software can reprogram the computer. If not the programming will appear as if it took and repaired the problem but when you turn the key off it will revert back to the old version and the same stuff happens again. If your friend takes it to the dealer, have him ask the shop guy if this is one of the tractors that has to have the resistor wire installed and see what response he gets.