3-Point Hitch Massey ferguson Lift Arms wont lift

/ Massey ferguson Lift Arms wont lift #1  

derrick1115

Tractor
MF 135
I have a 135 massey ferguson tractor that I use to put out hay. I used it last week to put out hay and it worked fined but it has been extremely cold this week and I went to put out hay today and the lift would not pick up the bale of hay or lift without anything on the hay spear. Can somebody give me some information as to why this might be?

/ Massey ferguson Lift Arms wont lift #2  
Several possibilities, unsure how cold it got to in your neck of the woods. When I plow snow with mine in the -20ish degree C weather I would always wait to warm up the oils, it would strain to lift my back blade until I did. Once the oils were warm it was fine.

One year I did have some problems was when my oil had gotten moisture in it (trhough small cracks in shift lever boots primarily). Freezing temps will turn oil contaminated with water to a pretty thick sludge.

/ Massey ferguson Lift Arms wont lift #3  
Look at your fluid and see if it is a normal color.

Do a crackle test to see if the fluid has water in it. Put a few drops in a tea spool and use a lighter to heat the bottom of the spoon. If it crackles or sizzles, it has water in it and needs changing.

Check any filters and sump screens.

Use fluids recommend for your climate.

/ Massey ferguson Lift Arms wont lift #4  
Look at your fluid and see if it is a normal color.

Do a crackle test to see if the fluid has water in it. Put a few drops in a tea spool and use a lighter to heat the bottom of the spoon. If it crackles or sizzles, it has water in it and needs changing.

Check any filters and sump screens.

Use fluids recommend for your climate.

JJ I've never heard anyone ever mention this tip. Good one. Gonna log that one in the books. I always went by color. Thanks for posting. -kid