MF40 Shuttle Transmission repair

/ MF40 Shuttle Transmission repair #1  

Sand Groper

Tractor
Massey Ferguson FEL/Backhoe
Hello fellow MF owners and others. My neighbour Max and I both have MF40 Industrial tractors with the FEL/Backhoe configuration. We are farmers (of sorts) but find these tractors excellent work horses around our respective properties. I actually bought mine about seven years ago after hearing Max say that his was the best $10,000 he ever spent. If either of us has a problem with our tractor then we typically nut it out together, which is great for me since Max has probably forgotten more about mechanical matters than I could ever hope to know!

Whilst mine has the manual transmission, Max's MF40 has the auto shuttle reverse. Last year he lost forward and that is what brings me here to the forum. It seemed as though the selector pin was worn through, or at least not engaging forward gears. So far over a period of months we have pulled the front off, replaced the filters and oil, replaced the worn pin on the forward/reverse selector (which looked as though someone had had a go at a repair on it previously) and reassembled it all. You can imagine our disappointment when the selector problem was still apparent when Max test drove his freshly assembled machine.

We are now faced with doing all that work over again but don't really know why our repair failed the first time around. Does anyone have any ideas that may help us?

Cheers.

/ MF40 Shuttle Transmission repair
I thought I might add some extra information in case it helps with a diagnosis of the MF40 transmission problem.

When the engine is revved quite high there is no way that reverse gear can be selected, however it slips into forward without much resistance. While in forward and revved even more there is the faintest bit of movement in the forward direction, but that is it.

The dis-assembly will be started over again soon and it would be great to have a few ideas of what to look for as we go.