1528 will not go in 4wd

/ 1528 will not go in 4wd #1  

wk2fish

Tractor
We just bought a used 1528 4wd. Everything seems to work ok except for the 4wd. The lever to engage the 4wd will not move at all. We didn't get an owners manual so just trying to figure out if we are just doing something wrong. thanks

/ 1528 will not go in 4wd #2  
:welcome: If it has a FEL. try to lift the frontend off the ground, sometime that helps. I can move my lever, but if i lift it off the ground, it is really easy.

/ 1528 will not go in 4wd #3  
The lever on my 1648 is stiff too... sometimes I have to tap the pedal to slightly move the tractor, or change the gear tooth position. I think I'll try lifting the wheels off the ground, sounds like that would work.

/ 1528 will not go in 4wd #4  
Shortly after buying my 1652 last year I could not move the level to 4WD. Given it was new I wasn't about to muck with anything and called the dealer. They sent a mechanic right out and in a few minutes he got it "unstuck". Just needed some hard taps on the linkage/mechanism to free it up. Since then it's shifted in/out of 4WD more easily, but it still can be hard at times. Usually getting off a slope onto flat ground and shifting into a higher gear frees things up.

Hopefully the problem you're having is similarly easy to deal with.

We just bought a used 1528 4wd. Everything seems to work ok except for the 4wd. The lever to engage the 4wd will not move at all. We didn't get an owners manual so just trying to figure out if we are just doing something wrong. thanks