Considering a Massey 2605

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #1  

Slickheadhunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025 4wd
I'm considering upgrading to a larger tractor. And really like the simple ruggedness of the 2605
But I can't believe it doesn't have a differential lock on that size! I am getting 4x4 but I really believe I need the diff lock, I've used mine many times.
Can someone recommend an alternative to the 2605 that has the lock?

Thanks.

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #2  
The 2615 has that option + a few more horses. I have a 2605 4x4 with loader and not sure that the diff lock would be of much help. The tractor weighs enough to have good traction.

/ Considering a Massey 2605
I was thinking about that weight issue, with loader and filled tires it must be around 6000lbs? Would that be a correct assumption?
To go up to the 2615 is an additional 5000 dollars, just out of my range especially with the specs the 2605 has, it's more than enough tractor for my needs.

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #4  
The spec sheet says the approximate shipping weight of the 4x4 2605 is just over 4500lbs, so 3 tons seems a reasonable estimate after adding the loader and fluid.

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #5  
I've put quite a few hours on my Dad's 2605 4x4 with FEL, it's an impressive tractor. Does excellent job of getting all of its power to the ground. Though it would be nice to have, I haven't really missed having a diff lock on it in 4 wheel drive, traction is very good.

IMO there's a few annoyances with it: I wish it didn't have the fuel filler in the center of the hood, the ignition switch is hard to use due to its design, and it could use a little lower 1st gear for running his 5' tiller but other than that it's been a perfect machine no mechanical issues at all.

image-2569650961.jpg

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #6  
Hello slickheadhunter, If you use diff-lock , then going without will get you stuck ,until you learn to be more conservative in your approach. Also you don't say what your land is like, ie easy rolling ,steep etc. I am off rolling to steep ash (very soft and slippery in winter) country, and no diff-lock means no sale to me.

/ Considering a Massey 2605
Hello slickheadhunter, If you use diff-lock , then going without will get you stuck ,until you learn to be more conservative in your approach. Also you don't say what your land is like, ie easy rolling ,steep etc. I am off rolling to steep ash (very soft and slippery in winter) country, and no diff-lock means no sale to me.

I've decided against the 2605, I really do need the differential lock. I called the Massey dealership and they didn't seem interested in the least to talk about my trade, so I'm going to get a Mahindra 3616 made in Japan by Mitsubishi. It's not quite as large as the 2605, but in reality with the woods I cut in the size may have been a hinderance. My 2516 has been excellent and Mahindras warranty is better.

Thanks for the replies!

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #8  
I've decided against the 2605, I really do need the differential lock. I called the Massey dealership and they didn't seem interested in the least to talk about my trade, so I'm going to get a Mahindra 3616 made in Japan by Mitsubishi. It's not quite as large as the 2605, but in reality with the woods I cut in the size may have been a hinderance. My 2516 has been excellent and Mahindras warranty is better. Thanks for the replies!

I have a MF 461 and honestly by the time the 4x4 looses traction I don't see any more traction when locking the rear. Kinda strange but it's almost like the rear is near locked without it. I since no longer even try to engage it. Keep in mind though these tractors are heavy and go VERY well anyways.

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #9  
You should use diff lock before you break traction, then you don't tear the place up and give weeds a foothold. Also a 2nd attempt means a less optimum line of travel

/ Considering a Massey 2605 #10  
You should use diff lock before you break traction, then you don't tear the place up and give weeds a foothold. Also a 2nd attempt means a less optimum line of travel
I agree but to my point with 4x4 it's rarely needed. This is also apparent with used 4x4 tractors as the diff lock is never used and often seized up due to no use.