GC2300 Steering wheel loose

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #1  

eagle5473

Tractor
MF GC2300
I just bought a 2009 GC2300 with MMM mulching deck and FEL. Tractor has 210hrs on it and looks like new. The only thing I have found is that the steering wheel is loose. I tried to tighten the bolts that hold it, but they are very hard to turn, and after multiple turns do not seem to be doing much good. is the steering wheel supposed to have some movment left right up down ect or how do I correct it? Also this machine is nice, but it could have used a few handles to mount and dismount and one on each fender to hold on to.

Aaron Hodge

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #2  
The looseness is a result of someone using the steering wheel to pull themselves up on the machine.

The controller located just below the wheel needs to be repaired, or replaced.

If you use the TBN search feature, you can find threads where this repair is discussed.

Avoid pulling on the wheel, when you mount the tractor, or it will happen again.

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose
It appears that the bolts that hold everything together are loose, nothing is leaking, can I drill them out and replace with bolts with locking nuts?

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #4  
My impression was, the looseness is not usually in the mounting, it's in the controller.

Previous posts have suggested replacing the rubber bushings part #4260080M1 that hold it in.

I would not modify it, but you are welcome to try.

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #5  
I made some new rubber bushings fir the 4 mounting bolts from thick rubber gasket material and replaced. This tightened things right up

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #6  
The looseness is a result of someone using the steering wheel to pull themselves up on the machine.

The controller located just below the wheel needs to be repaired, or replaced.

If you use the TBN search feature, you can find threads where this repair is discussed.

Avoid pulling on the wheel, when you mount the tractor, or it will happen again.

The same happened to me.
Got it fixed by dealer under warranty...as mentioned, don't use the steering to pull yourself on the seat.
Black

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #7  
This is just an FYI that might help someone else. I replaced the "rubber washers" on my machine with some rubber washer from Home Depot. They were in the fastener isle. They had a ID of 7/16"; OD of 1", and they were 1/16" thick. I used 3 washers to replace each washer. I couldn't figure out how to get the steering wheel off, so I was working in cramped quarters (removed the screen and battery so I had a bit more room). I found I could "stick" the three washers together with a bit of grease. It was awkward, but I did get it done. It seems to have solved the problem. I don't know how this "fix" will last as compared to washers from MF. These were readily available at less than half the cost, so I thought I would give it a try. A few of the washers I had to trim with scissors to fit because of interference. It was a very awkward and time consuming job. I hope it lasts.

/ GC2300 Steering wheel loose #8  
You could also make your own thick washers with some sheet rubber, using a hole saw.

My rubber bushings failed last year, from deterioration. So, apparently everyone will eventually get to do this.

If your wheel is suddenly floppy, that's your next project.

The OEM washers are like $6 each, (x8), and there are also metal new bushings that are slightly different, (thinner), than the originals.

Last edited: