Massey Ferguson 165 - 1975 212 model

/ Massey Ferguson 165 - 1975 212 model #1  

dmark1975

Tractor
MF 165
Hi all,

I am in process of putting tractor back together after engine rebuild. Problem encountered when it came to installing new agriline wiring loom. - my mistake??? - I forgot to mark the wires before I took it off and I took no pictures at all so I am completely lost now. I have managed to get power to the starter motor but it seems like a live basket. There are sparks off the cable as I connect it to the starter motor and while it turns it wont spin the flywheel at all...... So if anyone had pictures of their wiring it would be a great help as I find it extremely difficult to follow wiring diagrams... HELP Please :)

/ Massey Ferguson 165 - 1975 212 model #2  
trace 1 wire at a tme... that's the SAFE way to do it.

same way you eat an elephant. 1 bite at a time.

/ Massey Ferguson 165 - 1975 212 model
Thanks Soundguy :)

I went through some forums and found a good description of how 100 series should be wired, corresponded it with the diagram in the manual and traced all the wires with a multimeter to test the circuits. So I am certain I have it correct except maybe for on of the outlets on the ammeter going to the ignition. Problem is that the starter motor when I turn the ignition to start it only repeatedly clicks but fails to turn the flywheel. Any suggestions?
Could I have tightened the main bearings by accident stopping the crankshaft from turning? I am going to get a socket set at work tomorrow to manually turn the crankshaft and see if it is jammed - I'm hoping not! Anyway, I will have to separate the engine away from the body as I am not happy with the setting on the clutch and pedal is jamming when I press the pedal to disengage the clutch, but I was hoping not to do it until I had the steering back on to make it easier with the hoist.
There were no problems with the starter before the rebuild and the battery is relatively new too. I had it charged before trying and the starter motor is relatively new also. Is there some way of priming the engine with oil? I poured it in through the starter gears as normal and coated all parts in oil as I put it together.....

I also solved the problem of the electrical discharge through the correct tracing of the cables. Thanks for that.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wiring I completed is as follows:
Negative battery cable to earth point on starter.
Positive cable to connection on solenoid.
Supply cable (white) from solenoid/battery connection to one side of ammeter.
If this is wrong you will have a discharge instead of charge.
Other side of ammeter to 'A' on reg box (Brown).
'F' from reg box to 'Field' (small term, black white)
'D' from reg box to 'Dynamo' (large term, Red)
Lighter supply cable from connection at 'D' to Fuel gauge ( green)
Fuel gauge to tank sender ( green )
Sender to earth(black)
Live side of ammeter to key switch (term 1, blue/ white )
Term 2 via fuse to thermostart (blue)
Term 3 (white and black) to safety switch then (blue/black) to start term on solenoid.
Fuel gauge has a have wire to earth (black)
'E' on reg box to earth.