Massey ferguson 245 hydraulic system

/ Massey ferguson 245 hydraulic system #1  

gandaff

Tractor
massey ferguson 245
Hi all members,
I've joined Tractor by Net today, I'm a welsh guy who moved to South Africa twelve years ago on retirement.
I recently brought a Massey Ferguson 245 with the Perkins three cylinder diesel engine. I think the tractor is an eighties vintage and had been standing for approximately ten years in a very salty atmosphere!!. Well got the 'old lady'running,but the lift arms would not move either up or down. Took off the top cover to expose hydraulic system and found lots of rust, did not expect that in the sealed oil filled chamber housing hydraulic pump and all the other hydraulic system parts.
Being as this is a project and I'm on pension I'm trying to keep costs down so I'm attempting to do all the necessary work myself, I'm afraid I'm not doing too well stripping down the linkage/lever system attached to hydraulic cylinder which is attached to under side of top cover, I can't figure out the sequence for the removal of the draft and depth control lever linkages (attached to the hydraulic cylinder).
I know I'm a new member,but can anyone help,please, I need to remove all the linkages and levers along with hydraulic cylinder and rocker shaft.
Can anyone describe,with diagrams, the sequence of strip down and rebuild or let me know where I can purchase a good workshop manual with a detailed description for overhauling this part of the tractor.
As I wrote I'm a brand new member so I apologise for such a big ask so early in my membership, and I hope I have used the correct protocol, this is the first time I have used a forum.
Many thanks and regards to all members
Mick

/ Massey ferguson 245 hydraulic system #2  
Hello, and welcome to tbn.
1) get a manual, it will make things a lot easier for you and help you to explain yourself.
2) was the transmission oil floating on water or was the rust due to condensation?
3)The rubber boots on the gearsticks perish and split then the rain can get in. Also check the condition of the top link/draft control boot as it has the same trouble.
4)Yes this tractor is an eighties vintage. I had a 240 version.

/ Massey ferguson 245 hydraulic system
Hi Redman135,
Thank you for responding and advice, I have eventually got a manual and it appears to be good, not like I&T manuals which I found to be a little lacking on detail.
The water/rust which has caused the problem seems to be due to condensation, no water flows out when testing at drain plug, rubber boots on gearsticks ok. Thanks for dating tractor year.
Can I ask if you have experienced the following and if you have a solution, I have got as far as removing the draft control and position control cams, I've removed the set screw that holds the 'cam pivot shaft' in position. The pivot shaft slides out approximately three quarters of an inch then comes to a very positive stop as if there is another fixing/locating device preventing it sliding out fully. I've checked the manual it only describes one locating/fixing screw I cannot identify a second fixing device so I believe it maybe corrosion/rust it's just the pivot shaft comes to such a positive stop after it's initial move I don't want to damage it by excessive force any suggestions.
Thanks gandaff

/ Massey ferguson 245 hydraulic system #4  
Hello gandaff, sory ,I can't help you ,I've only done the engine on mine. How ever others who have done the hydraulics say DON'T force things when removing the draft control linkages as it is easy to do expensive damage.
This is a case of hurry slowly and sure.
I am surprised someone else hasn't comented on your thread by now, perhaps a repost specifficly stating "draft control removal" make get you help, as the current thread title does not give the "pique factor" that you want.

Hey Redman, thanks for the reply, as you suggested I'll try a more specific question, re draft & position control cam removal.
Thanks again

Hi Blunderbore,
Thank you for the info and download sites great manuals.
Can I ask another question on the forum, I've stripped down quite a lot of the linkage housed under the main cover, but I've hit a problem,I can remove the pivot shaft which holds the position control and draft control cams. I've done as the manual directs loosened/removed set screw which holds pivot shaft in position and the shaft does withdraw approximately 1 inch, then it comes to a very positive stop and will not withdraw to allow cams to be removed.I cannot see any other fixing/locating set screws (and there's none mentioned in the manual), I have put lots of rust penertrant on and at the moment have the assembly soaking in coca cola,was told this is a good "release fluid if all else fails!!). Has anyone every experienced this problem?can anyone suggest what might be holding the pivot pin so securely. It does seem more of a 'mechcanical' stoppage, more than just a rust problem help please.
Thanks gandaff